1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident *sigh*....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdmorse, Apr 10, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Twelve years... Twelve years driving around a ratty old Saturn, and nothing.

Two months on my nice shiny (Black) new 06 Prius, and *wham*....... Oh how this hurts...

Not physically mind you, it was a low speed impact in the parking lot, and not my fault, but the front right quarter is smashed into the wheel, and I'm sitting arround awaiting the tow truck. Hopefully there's nothing but cosmetic damange, but still, my baby's only two months old, and now crumpled. And of course, there could be important parts back there as well.

Waiting for a tow truck, waiting for insurance to call back, not sure what I'm going to do next. Haven't felt this crappy in years. How depressing.

oops.. phone,,,

2. benighted

benighted New Member

They always aim for shiny black cars, you have to keep your guard up.

Sorry for the loss, I hope you get your car fixed soon.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :( :(

yep, it's always the nice new ones that seem to have a visible-only-to-morons targetboard on them...

all the vital organs are on the driver's side, so that's one less worry- good luck getting things sorted out and fixed up right.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man all these accidents, bad karma! I hope it doesnt start rubbing off on the rest of us.... Again sorry to hear of your misfortune..

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to get them out of my phone. The panel under the front right headlight is fully dented in (100% the wrong shape), not sure if damage extends up to the headlight area. The hood and front passenger side panel are both obviously deformed outward, causing both the passenger side door, and the hood itself to pinch (and thus not open). Since the panel was pressed against the front right wheel, I had it towed to body shop reccomended (and I think owned) by my dealership.

I hope that's all there is too it. I'm quite depressed that two months in, my brand new car, with 1200 miles on it, the first one I've ever purchased on my own, will never be truely 'new' ever again. That's life, !^$% happens. But it's still awfully depressing.

By the time I made it to the shop, all rental places were closed, so I'm currently carless. Will have to take care of that tomorrow.

And being hit at work in my own parking lot, by someone I know, means I can't even rant about the other person involved. I was moving down an isle, she backed out and turned into me. I hit the breaks, and think I did come to a complete stop, but was still hit. Certainly not as bad as many of the other accidents folks have gotten into recently, but still no fun.

Pulled out of thin air estimate, $2500 and two weeks. And being my first accident since I drove my parents car 15 years ago, I get to experience all the joys of insurance for the very first time. wheee

*sigh*

-Ken

6. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

sounds like my accident... only yours is better.

best of luck getting yours repaired.

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On an entirelly different note... I'm kicking myself, but only for a silly reason.

This weekend, I had a spare laptop hooked up to the CAN bus, and captured, processed, and saved heaping gobs of CAN data while driving arround in circles. Included in the collected data is data about pressure applied to the accelerator and break pedal, speed, and both forward and side-to-side accelerometers. If only I had left the laptop hooked up today instead of takeing it in sunday night, I would have had the entire accident, from the time I started the car, recorded. How cool would that have been?

Although, booting the laptop and starting the recorder would have probably delayed me enough that I would have missed the accident entirely.....

Now for a more practical question... The accident did not trigger the HV battery shutoff, nor did it cause any dash lights to be illuminated - so I'm not sure the car knows it was in an accident. However, while being dragged up and onto the flatbed (it was in neutral, and rolling smoothly), I saw the triangle of doom for the first time. Anyone know what set it off? Does the car have a tilt sensor that detects when it's at an unexpected angle? The folks at the body shop think a hood up/open sensor may have actually been tripped at that angle, but it was just a quick guess on their part (they were nearly closed and out the door when I arrived). Or perhaps it was some sort of delayed accident related item, occuring on the second start after the impact? Anyone know for sure?

-Ken

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 10 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]237735[/snapback]</div>
    My sympathies... that really sucks.

I was in a similar situation when I first bought my current car. After driving my mom's beater for 4 years, I never had so much as a decent door ding let alone an accident.

Then I buy my first car on my own, and it is hit no less than THREE times in my first 18 months of ownership, the first being a mere 2.5 months after I bought it. Then a fourth time a year or so later.

And every time, the car was parked. Only one of those times was I actually in the car, but I was stopped at the side of a parking lot letting a friend out.

To boot, I have more door dings than I can count (one of them 6" long)- and I used to go out of my way to park away from cars.

It's just so frustrating that you can't keep anything nice anymore without someone doing something stupid or criminal.

This is one reason why I am hesitant to buy a brand new car - as I know I will be heartbroken the first time something like this happens (again), especially with a more expensive car....

<sigh>

Kevin

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 10 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]237852[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know and that if for sure, but if they pull off codes let us know please. I would have to say that if the car was in neutral and rolling it would be no different than a car wash. That should not set it off. I will have to check on the hood. Was the door open? Did you take it out of ready mode?

10. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Managed to get the photo's out of my phone. Clearly I got off easy compared to what your poor Prometheus went through. Here's hoping both our cars are repaired to an indistinguishable from new condition - with minimal time in the shop, and minimal insurance hassels...

Cellphone photo's of my car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the other car:
    [​IMG]

-Ken

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This may sound like a slightly harsh question, but if one or both
    of you were moving more slowly through the parking lot could the
    encounter have been avoided?
    _H*

12. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Bummer about the car. :( :(

My car got hit in the rear driver's side panel when someone tried to merge into me when it was only 4 months old. And I thought Salsa Red would prevent those kinds of accidents.

It cost the insurance company about $2600 to fix, so your extimate sounds right.

2 weeks sounds like a long time to fix it though. It only took my repair place about a week and they are a general shop, not Toyota specific (so everything needs to be ordered through a local dealer).

If they do the repair right, you should never know that the car was damaged.

Since it was in the front and near the wheel well, do make sure that they check the allignment! It can be thrown off be even a small accident (happened to another car I had).

Take Care. And Thank God no one was injured. Except Your Baby! :(

Yeah, the insurance company thought I was nuts too.

13. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2 weeks sounds like a long time to fix it though.

Twas a out of thin air guess on their part, based on a quick determination of work required, delays caused by my insurance (apparently Allstate slows em down sometimes, insisting on a complete independant inspection of damage before work begins), and the unfortunatly reality that with Prius's, there's frequently one part they don't have on hand, and have trouble getting. Should all go smoothly from start to finish, it may well be quicker. But I doubt I'll have it back by this weekend, which is when I would really need it by. Just ain't likely to happen, so I'll have to change my plans.

do make sure that they check the allignment!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make sure it's taken care of. I've been extermely pleased with the steering and tracking of my Prius so far, and would hate for it to start drifting or eating tires like my old Saturn did (damn did that car like to go left).

-Ken

14. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This may sound like a slightly harsh question, but if one or both of you were moving more slowly through the parking lot could the encounter have been avoided?

Of course! (Were you expecting a different response?)

Tis the nature of accidents. If either of us had moved at different speeds, we may not have encountered each other. Had she seen me, we may not have encountered each other. Had I seen her sooner, we may not have encountered each other. Had the sun not been exactly where it was, her reverse lights would have been more apparent (honestly, I never saw em lit, but that doesn't mean they weren't there). And I suspect, based on the difficulty the sun gave me taking photos, that it may have been the main factor in her not seeing me as she backed up. But I wouldn't say either of us were moving at unsafe speeds.

Knowing the other person makes it real hard to cast her as a villain here, so I have to take a #^*@ happens mentality and move on.

-Ken

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

There can be only one answer to why all these accidents are happening now:

George W. Bush. <_<

I think there should be cash payouts to the victims of accidents resulting in a trip to the body shop. Call it the "inconvenience and collateral damage fee". Why should it be paid?

1. You have to arrange for another car. If it's a rental car (usually), you'll probably have to pay SOMETHING, even though the insurance should pay most.

2. The rental car will get worse gas mileage than your car, costing you money.

3. You'll have to have several phone calls with one or two insurance companies, the body shop and others. When THEY're available.

4. Unless you're extremely lucky, your car will never be the same. The repainting is never perfect (e.g., varying thicknesses of paint from uneven hand-held spraying, accumulations of paint at the bottom of vertical panels (doors, fenders, "runs", etc.). Trouble is, if problems appear with the paint, it likely won't become apparent for a while, possibly two or more years.

5. If the car gets put back together with no leftover small parts (screws, washers, etc.), it's a miracle. If you start getting rattles due to careless repair work after the warranty for the work has expired, you'll have to pay get it fixed yourself.

6. Depending on the location of the repairs, you may never know if OEM replacement parts were really used.

Items 4-6 are "worry" things. If you're a worrier, isn't that worth something?

How much should payouts be? How about $1,000, $2500 and $4500, scaled to the extent of the damage?

16. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 10 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]237941[/snapback]</div>
    I like that sort of mentality. Sometimes smart people can do stupid things but shit happens so its best to stay calm. B)

17. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 10 2006, 09:47 PM) [snapback]237908[/snapback]</div>
    Good grief! A near-perfect imprint of her license plate in your wrinkled bumper!

18. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I have somewhat minimal damage to the front bumper of my Prius, but I didnt' get angry about it, because *I* was the moron that did it ;)

OP, I'd imagine your car will look like new in a few days.

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I finally look at the pix, you may be fortunate in that
    it's all crumpled plastic, with relatively little metal deformation.
    Sort of hard to tell without big closeups. The downside is that
    the front schnoz of the car is all one BIG piece of said plastic...
    _H*

20. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 11 2006, 03:03 AM) [snapback]237947[/snapback]</div>
    I had my several long conversations with the insurance folks today. I was asked all sorts of questions, including exactly what part of her car did my car directly impact. Some of the finer details (such as about 1 second before the impact) seem to be absent from my memory (which is an odd sensation itself). But one look at the damaged corner, and it's quite obvious - I clearly hit the licence plate dead center.

On the upside, I was repeatedly assured that based on description and photos, that all would be made well. On the downside, Allstate is apparently one of the slower companies to get Adjusters/Inspectors out to look at damaged cars. Could be as soon as today, or as late as Friday.

Enterprise appears to have screwed me today, so I'm still car-less. Will have to take care of that tomorrow morning.

-Ken