1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

Does how to take care of your Prius include doing the driving for those behind you?
    The Silver Pkg# 2 which my wife drove out of the dealer late in the evening of 27th March this early afternoon, clear and bright, slow moving traffic, was hit square on (at low speed, apparently) from the rear -- by a taxi driver's vehicle. "Sun reflected off your back, I couldn't see your brake lights." The person whose vehicle hit the rear bumper said he is sorry. During supper he even called again to apologize and say how sorry he is. He offered to pay whatever and gave his insurance information. No police report. Our (new) deductible is $1,000 (could have been $2,000).
    The scratch goes pretty much all the way (not quite) from one side to the other on the bumper. The seam on the right side (facing forward) seems unaffected but the one on the left side looks slightly opened up and lifted away from the other part, perhaps one quarter of an inch or even less. Wife has to go to dealer to pick up tags anyway tomorrow (why is that? I don't understand that) so I suggested she have them make sure as to the integrity of the bumper for the _next_ collision -- whether the whole thing needs to be taken out and replaced -- AND whether the frame was bent anywhere (put it up on a lift). What do you suggest? Should we report to police? To insurance company (ours). State of Virginia.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aww, what a shame, with a brand new car! I've only had mine 10 days longer than you and I would be absolutely furious!

Can you post a pic to show us the damage? I would wait to see what the dealer says. I have read elsewhere in the forum that bumpers are quite expensive to replace- but the other guy's insurance should pay for it if needed.
    I think if his insurance company pays out they will contact your insurance company... it's been so long since I've had an accident I don't remember how it works exactly. Either way I think you will probably see increased premiums.

I hope things work out for you!

3. cybele

cybele New Member

If it's not your fault it's unlikely that your rates will go up.

The other insurance company is responsible for fixing your car - you will not have to pay a deductible.

I had a small accident about a month after I got mine - it was called my fault (negligence) when I hit a couch on the freeway that was dropped from a minivan. I had a dent in the front quarterpanel. They popped it off, pounded it out and repainted.

It cost about $600 to fix.

My rates did not go up - my deductible was $500, they called it a wash.

My rates did go up recently though, because they raised them for everyone and I switched companies.

Make sure you take it to a body shop of your choice, not the other guy's insurance company. If you don't like their estimate or way they talk to you, get another opinion. You really only get one chance to get it right - it's much harder to extend a claim if it isn't fixed right the first time.

4. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

Thank you both. When I went out around 6:15am to do my 30-minute walk it looked (a lot) better in the driveway in the dark than it did yesterday late afternoon in full daylight.
    DW will be taking it to the Fairfax, VA, dealer sometime today.
    She will be taking that little plastic "credit-card key" to have it run through the machine to make it possible to use to open the door.
    Since we paid cash for the car, we are repaying ourselves over a four year period, $600 per month; and we have not yet even made our first "car payment."
    We also paid cash for our VW Golf 4-door 5-speed when we purchased it in May, 1993 (when our son graduated from Princeton and we gave him our 1987 VW Golf 4-door 5-speed with 89,000 + mileage as a graduation gift, in the garage and wrapped in a giant ribbon. After teaching three years (high school) and finishing a three-semester Masters in Operations Research, in 1999 he bought his own VW Golf 4-door 5-speed and it probably now has close to 80,000 miles on it.

5. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

DW reports "Dealer looked and reported FASTENER is CRACKED and 'if it were mine I would have the bumper replaced.' "
    DW went to nearby body shop quoted $212 but if there is a 'bent bar' on the left side then $874 for entire job ++ IF no bent bar then will be $600+ (about $200 less).
    Taxi driver pledges to pay directly, leaving insurance company (his) out of the picture. Has called two or three times and keeps in touch, insisting he will pay and just wants to know how and where and when.
    Perspective(s)?

6. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

The other driver is going to pay, delivering the money.
    I think it is eight hundred; and the body shop is going to order the new bumper and install the entire thing, presumably the cracked fastener AND bent(?) rod. DW was set (still is) to leave Sunday late afternoon with her sister and a friend for one week in Europe (the Netherlands, for bicycling)

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bro, it's obvious that the taxi driver does not want his insurance to get involved. I was hit my a semi driver some years back and it was the kiss of death for me to call his insurance. I mean, these people drive for a living, their insurance rating is their life. If this taxi driver's insurance company found out that he's going around hitting people, they'd hike his rates and drop him.

Just keep in mind that you have the upper hand here. If he's not forthcoming with the proper amount of money, let him know that you will report it. If the actual cost exceeds the estimate and what he provides up front, chase him down and make him pay. There is no reason why you should have to lose a single dollar for someone else's negligence. You've already been robbed of your *new* car.

8. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

Yes, I (personally) am concerned about other incidents (future as well as past) after reading two or three days ago in the newspaper of the death of a renowned breast cancer surgeon after a vehicle (van hauling folks with wheel chairs) ran her down in making a turn over a crosswalk in New York City at Second Avenue and 64th Street (I used to live in NYC for nine years).

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I'd get it fixed by replacement of any suspect parts at the dealer, then send the guy the bill. No need for you to take any risk. You're doing him a big favor avoiding insurance. Sounds like he inderstands this and won't give you trouble.

10. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

It took two days for completely new bumper (and bent internal bracket/rod/something) to be replaced (two blocks from dealership) and now DW is driving "new" new Prius Pkg#2 Silver once again. Still purchased only one tank of gas since March 27th purchase.