1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

accidents and BT tech plates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by parrot_lady, Apr 10, 2006.

1. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

my '05 has a BT tech chasis stiffening plate on it, and it was on at the time of my accident.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...=0&#entry237440

I was told by a manfacturing engineer who is papered and works at Delphi (great, he works in the car industry) that I should at least have the plate looked at in terms of damage/stress that was put on it b/c I mentioned to him that I was concerned.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in my position, and what the outcome was. That plate has saved me a few times, and I swear by it, so, I'm looking at just getting a new one...

I'm probably not making much sense... but I wanna know how these plates hold up, and who (if anyone) would be qualified to look at them to see about the stress placed on it from being in the accident.

Brain does quality work, and I'm not ragging on him... just don't know myself how much this plate could hold up to.

Amy

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, if it was damaged in the accident the shop working on your car should take a look at it and assess whether it should be replaced or not. It should be covered by your insurance.

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Excellent question!
    This is my take from my experience working in the metals industry. If you are at all uncertain, ask your insurance adjuster to have it replaced, period.

Since the plate is Aluminum, which is quite a soft alloy, I would suspect that it would bend before encountering any stress fractures. Problem is, the amount of bending it takes to cause weakness to it, will not be visible to the eye.

If it did fracture or bend enough, the Anodized surface will likely show fissures since its very hard. At a minimum, remove the plate and inspect it for flatness on a known flat. If it rocks, it's bent. Replace it. Also look for elongation around the bolt holes. This is where it will be stressed the most and where you are most likely to see damage.

Good Luck!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could have it magnafluxed and xrayed, like you do with aircraft parts, but it would be cheaper to just replace it.

Tom

5. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

alrighty, they're gonna have to replace it for me, I told them I wanted it replaced since they decided to use the hoist on it, and it might have stressed it more, and it needs to be inspected anyway...

So yeah, they're replacing it, and paying for the installation of a new one cause I'm not going through the trouble!

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 10 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]237444[/snapback]</div>

Considering that it's aftermarket and not for appearance, they'll likely give him a few dollars if anything at all.

- I was wrong. Cool.