1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

accumulator code

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by douglasjre, Mar 2, 2018.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If i got the code for the accumulator is that the two balck cylinders that are bad or the giant cilver godzilla thing above it that goes thru the firewall to the pedal that's bad?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea, out of curiosity, how many miles on her?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The accumulator is the two cylinders thing. The silver godzilla thing is the actuator (similar word, different part).

However (comma!), depending on what code you got (what was it, exactly?), an "accumulator" code does not necessarily mean the accumulator is what you need. The code is probably telling you that the pressure in the accumulator is not holding up as it should, but that can be because of problems in the accumulator itself, or in the actuator (which is where most of the valves are).

Both parts are expensive (the godzilla one is worse), so you'll really want to make sure you know which one is the source of the problem, before you assume and replace one or the other. There are test procedures in the repair manual, and you can use Techstream to watch all the different pressure sensors in the system and flip individual valves on and off, which can help pinpoint problems.

-Chap

chronon likes this.
  4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got used accumulator and actuator for total of $150 shipped. Also had to fix MG2 temp sensor wire under accumulator that was cut by amateur I trusted to do budget repair. Total job was a bear. Dealer wanted $6k. I did it in about 6 grueling hours with replacement of wire. All's well now. And no goon is ever gonna work on my carc again.

chronon likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good show!