1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accurate Reviews of the Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Minnesotan, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Minnesotan

Minnesotan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Well oh well, I have been fuming because of the ridiculous review Consumer Reports tendered of the Prius C. Fortunately, they are the solitary exception as many other sites post appropriately balanced reviews of the little car, noting its superior economy whilst acknowledging its faults. Mpgomatic is a pretty good reviewer. This is his preliminary review; a more comprehensive review should come out in a couple days.

fgp, BGGirl and franathan like this.
  2. Minnesotan

Minnesotan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  3. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    kind of nice to see a long review from someone who owns and likes their c. very informative. thanks for the great effort!

4. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like the test is bias toward downhill and flat roads at slow speeds. I would like to see his MPG on the return trip back up that big hill he coasted down near the beginning ride. None of the hills he went up was as long and steep as his earlier downhills. That would give a better idea of real world MPG. I would tend to believe a report showing daily commutes from home to work and back as a more accurate showing. Still, very informative.

5. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. However, on the other side, he wasn't driving all that conservatively when he was using gas. He was in the red part of the power bar quite a bit, which I avoid like the plague (only in absolute HAVE TO situations, like, will end up going below 40 up a hill on the freeway if I don't). Further, he was coasting instead of gliding almost the entire time. That coasting, when not actually wanting to slow down, wastes energy as compared to gliding by contributing to loss of momentum. If you can avoid making that energy transfer from the wheels to the battery, you want to (gliding). In other words, with a little more skill he could have gotten even better numbers.

6. Minnesotan

Minnesotan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    "The mileage rating drops when not in town (the opposite of traditional drivetrains), because the Hybrid Synergy Drive's 1.5-liter engine is providing propulsion instead of the electric motor."

I don't think they got that right...

8. moezer2112

moezer2112 Futurist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's part of the reason though. On the highway, you get no electric only bonus, so you basically ride at the fuel economy of the engine on its own. In the city you get periods of full electric and no gas which is what really gives big mileage. A different factor that plays alot into the mileage difference is the significant increase in wind drag at highway speeds. The car glides very efficiently at 25-40 mph.

9. secondspassed

secondspassed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Lower mileage on the highway is more about the weak ICE, in my opinion. You don't *need* to be in EV mode to get amazing mileage around the city. The C can comfortably cruise at 45-55 mph with the ICE on and get 100mpg.

10. akh02

akh02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three