1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acetone in Fuel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusPioneer, May 1, 2005.

1. PriusPioneer

PriusPioneer Junior Member

I've talked to a few Prius owners and Toyota reps that are adding Acetone to there Fuel and they have reported a 5 to 10% increase in their mileage. We are only talking about 1oz. per 5gals. of fuel. For more info see www.pesn.com look under Acetone for the articles. It's "Pure Energy Systems News" articles. I can't see how that much acetone could possibly hurt anything in the fuel system especially when it comes in cheap plastic bottles in the Drug store.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

go ahead and pour it on your bladder neck in the fuel tank. It's your car and you can do what you want, but be advised that the gas tank costs about $700 if it gets screwed up.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The DOE was supposed to investigate this as there was a patent issued in 1981 covering the use of acetone as a fuel additive.

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/produc...osti_id=6267144

I would need to know the long-term effects on the O2 sensors and catalytic converter before proceeding with acetone in my fuel.

Also I would need to know the health effects of acetone after combustion. The relavent EPA database lists the effects of acetone when ingested or aspirated.

There is research on the effects of acetone when combusted:

http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncer_abstracts/index....il/abstract/831

And the initial conclusions:

http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncer_abstracts/index....ct/831/report/F

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had a rather lengthy "discussion" with a guy at work about the same thing. well he tried it his car and after half a tank, he claims to be getting about 50% better gas mileage. now realizing his analog gauge and what not, an improvement that large would still be noticable. i asked him to keep me updated on how he does.

either way, i will not do it as i am satisfied with what im getting for economy

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"86723)</div>
    That is *highly* improbable!

Jay

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i think he is saying that especially after i told him that there is no evidence that acetone gave ANY improvement at all. our discussion was quite animated to say the least.

plus as we all know, an analog gauge is less accurate than the Prius gas gauge especially when its in the middle somewhere. i told him to let me know what hes getting after 5 consecutative tank fulls