1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acquisition Program

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jimmyrose, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been away from PC for quite a while, but felt I had to share this. Got it in the mail yesterday on official dealership letterhead:
    "Crestmont Toyota Volkswagon of Pompton Plains is conducting a special Annual Acquisition Buying Program on certain Toyota Volkswagen vehicles.
    We need to acquire several pre-owned 2006 Priuss (yes, that's how they spelled it) by month's end to fulfill specific purchase requests. Our records indicate that you own one of these models and our new car managers have been authorized to purchase your vehicle.
    We would like to exchange your 2006 Toyota Prius for any brand new 2007 Toyota Volkswagon car, suv or truck. With factory incentives and generous trade-in values, we feel confident that you can make this exchange with ease."

Sure, they just will need to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

So what do you all think is up - slick marketing scheme, the 2007's are not moving off the lot, lack of used Prii being traded in, all of the above?

2. Topgas

Topgas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 24 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]484406[/snapback]</div>
    Please feel free to come in and get your wallet cleaned by taking a really good resale vehicle and trade it for a new vehicle with one of the worst quality records going. We make out on both ends. Keep your Prius.

3. AVOID92X

AVOID92X Junior Member

This is a standard dealership marketing ploy to get you in the door. It will happen with any car/ model you buy. After a year or two, the dealership starts sniffing. Nothing particular about it being a Prius.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 24 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]484406[/snapback]</div>
    Pure crap. But here's your chance to have some fun. Offer to trade your Prius even up for a new one. Tell them you can wait until the 2008 arrives. :D

BTW around here there AREN'T any 2007s to move off the lot.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, this is the store where I bought my first Toyota Camry back in 1989 after walking out of the Honda store next to it. 10 Toyota's later...

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gee, I didn't know there was a Toyota Volkswagon. Isn't that confusing?

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just in case anyone has any doubt that the offer is a total crap marketing ploy, I got the same letter saying the they needed to fill specific orders for 1995 Plymouth Voyagers. Granted, this was several years back, but 1995 was the last year before the model change over, and I cannot imagine anyone specifically looking for a 1995 Plymouth Voyager.

If you bite, you will find that the special trade in allowance is low wholesale blue book, and the new car incentives are just the standard fare.

Just in case anyone has any doubt that the offer is a total crap marketing ploy, I got the same letter saying the they needed to fill specific orders for 1995 Plymouth Voyagers. Granted, this was several years back, but 1995 was the last year before the model change over, and I cannot imagine anyone specifically looking for a 1995 Plymouth Voyager.

If you bite, you will find that the special trade in allowance is low wholesale blue book, and the new car incentives are just the standard fare.

8. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

I got the same type of letter back when I had my Tacoma a few years ago. As others have said, it's just a standard marketing ploy.

9. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to add to everyone else's experiences, this is the first year I haven't gotten a "buyback offer" for my '03 Accord.

10. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

lol! i get these for ALL my former vehicles! i still get them for my montero sport, grand am and accord which , the first two, i haven't had for years! no doubt i'll be on some list to get them for my MDX at some point! and we get them for the tacoma too....

yep.... strictly a marketing ploy! (although it was nice that we happened to be looking at cars when i got one "wanting" my accord which i no longer have... they gave me a cheesecake factory gift card for test driving! lol! "funny" thing is i was going to test drive the civic hybrid anyways! then i got another one for test driving the prius! lol! (didn't even buy my prius at that dealership)

11. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I guess all the responses answers the question. The last new car before the Prius we bought was in 2000 (previous new car purchase to that was 1984), but we never received such an "opportunity" from Honda on that one, so this was new to me.

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 25 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]484406[/snapback]</div>
    What is a "Toyota Volkswagen car". Is this the result of some inter-factory cross breeding? Least they could do is spell "Volkswagon" correctly.

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :lol: :lol: I also think you should go and see what kind of deal they'll make you on an '08 Prius..... OR, just dont waste your time and put the letter in the "round file" (trash....) :D