1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acronyms and Abbreviations Glossary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tag, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tag

tag Senior Member

1701A - the second Constitution class starship to bear the name Enterprise. "1701a" is part of the URL of a web site designed by a long-time Prius owner: http://john1701a.com
    (NCC-1701 was the starship in the original NBC TV series Star Trek).

ABS - Anti-Lock Braking System

AFV - Alternative Fuel Vehicles

AGW - Anthropogenic (human-caused) Global Warming

AT-PZEV - Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emissions Vehicle (Meets PZEV standards and includes ZEV enabling technology)

ASL - Automatic Sound Leveling

Avatar - the image under usernames

AVC-LAN - Audio Visual Communications Local Area Network uses a star style bus centered on the MFD (Multi Function Display) running at a Max of 17.8k bps connecting the components of the Audio Visual Systems including:
    Audio Head Unit
    MFD Multi Function Display
    Navigation ECU
    Gateway ECU

B Gear - Engine Braking, (it isn't actually a gear) when you shift the transmission to this setting the engine will be used to slow down the car, it works similar to a "Jake Brake" used on the large semi-trucks (except the one for Prius is completely silent).

BEAN - Body Electronic Area Network using a daisy chain style bus running a Max of 10k bps connecting the Body components including:
    Body ECU
    Meter ECU
    Transponder Key ECU
    Transmission Control ECU
    A/C ECU
    Power Source Control ECU
    Smart ECU
    DLC3
    Gateway ECU

BSOC - Battery State of Charge

CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy (sales weighted average fuel economy, expressed in miles per gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer’s fleet of passenger cars or light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less, manufactured for sale in the United States, for any given model year.)

CAN - Controller Area Network using a multi star style bus connection through 2 junction connectors and connecting main bus line at 500 kbps with a max of 1M bps provides connection for the main components of the HSD including:
    HV ECU
    ECM
    EPS ECU
    Battery ECU
    Skid Control ECU
    steering angle sensor
    Yaw Rate and Deceleration Sensor
    Gateway ECU

CARB - California Air Resources Board

CAT - Catalytic Converter

CBG - Cleaner Burning Gasoline

Cd - coefficient of drag

CEL - Check Engine Light

Classic - The term used to identify the 2001, 2002, 2003 model years of Prius (also the 2001 in Japan only)

CNG - Compressed Natural Gas

CO2 - Carbon Dioxide

CVT - Continuously-variable Transmission

DIN - Deutsches Institut für Normung (German Institute for Standardization; similar to US ANSI)

DLC3 - Data Link Connector 3 sits over by your right knee and allows connection with the CAN and allows for obtaining Diagnostic Trouble Codes from any of the components of the system and allows for reprogramming of ECUs

DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles

DRL - Daytime Running Lights (sometimes DTR Lights)

DSP - Digital Signal Processing

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code

DVD - Digital Versatile Disc - the source disk for the navigation system, it contains the software and database for the mapping system

E10 - a mixed fuel - 90% gasoline, 10% ethanol

E85 - a mixed fuel - 85% Ethanol (gas blend)

ECU - Electronic Control Unit

ECU (expanded) - Electronic Control Unit any of the various computer control units in the car. Includes:

HV ECU Hybrid Vehicle ECU This is the brains of the HSD receiving and sending signals from all parts of the HSD turning driver request (shift, accelerator, break) into action by parts of the HSD system.

ECM Engine Module controls the ICE (spark, fuel injection, valve timing etc) delivering the proper amount of power to the system under direction of the HV ECU and informs HV ECU of ICE state.

Transmission ECU after receiving On signal from HV ECU monitors the Parking Switch (button) and when pressed it locks the hybrid trans axle and locks when brake is pressed and car is placed in D, R, N

Skid Control ECU Controls regenerative brake effect by MG2 and the hydraulic system to mimic a conventional hydraulic system as well as functions of Brake Assist, ABS (Antilock Brake System) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

ECB ECU = Electronically Controlled Brake integrated into the Skid control ECU to calculate required brake force based on peddle effort and force.

EPS ECU = Electronic Power Steering ECU controls the power assist to steering column calculated from input from the Skid Control ECU and various sensors

Battery ECU monitors the SOC (State Of Charge) and battery temperature communicates with the HV ECU and controls the HV battery cooling fan.

Power Source Control ECU Controls the push button start system receives signals from switches and ECUs communicates to the HV ECU power on power off

Air Conditioning ECU calculates the compressor speed based on input from sensors using a nonlinear fuzzy logic system controls blower speed

Meter ECU Transmits vehicle speed signal, receives information if smart key is in vehicle and sound the warning sound in car on request of other ECUs (the source of the annoying beeps)

Body ECU receives door lock and unlock request and monitors if smart key is in vehicle transmits this to Smart ECU over a serial connection.

Transponder ECU Controls the HV immobilizer by recognizing the key ID code also works with Smart ECU in cars equipped with SKS. Transmits an HV stat authorization to the HV ECU

Smart ECU Checks ID code received from wireless transponders in the car and transmits the code to the Transponder ECU

Navigation ECU provides navigational features as well as Voice recognition and Bluetooth connection.

Gateway ECU provides communication between the 3 LANs (Local Area Network)

EPA - Environmental Protection Agency - a Federal group headed by the Executive Branch

EV - electric vehicle, the EV button refers to getting the Prius into electric only mode via a control, bypassing the computer's control over the engine/motor.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

FAS - Forced Auto-Stop, term used by hypermilers for turning off a car at lights, etc. to simulate a full hybrid

FCC - Federal Communications Commission - controls frequencies for Homelink, Bluetooth, wireless phones and of course radio, television, satellite communications.

FCHS - Fuel-Cell Hybrid System (Toyota's vision of the future--supposedly compatible with the THS)

FCHV - Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle

FE - Fuel Efficiency

FEH - Ford Explorer Hybrid

Fob - this is actually not an acronym but describes the electronic "key" for the Prius. Fob comes from the use of pocketwatches. At one time a man would keep his pocketwatch attached to his vest or jacket by a chain. Eventually a decorative element was added to the chain, it was called a fob. This was then adapted to mean anything decorative attached to a chain, like a key fob. Later fobs took on a utilitarian function as electronic door locks would be opened with fobs.

GHG - Greenhouse Gas

GPS - Global Positioning System

GWG - Global Warming Gases

H2 - Hydrogen

HCH - Honda Civic Hybrid

HiHy - Hybrid Highlander

HEV - Hybrid-Electric Vehicle

HID - High Intensity Discharge, a type of headlight

HOV - High Occupancy Vehicle - nickname for carpool lanes in many states

HSD - Hybrid Synergy Drive

HV - High Voltage or Hybrid Vehicle

HyCam - Hybrid Camry

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine

IE - Internet Explorer - a web browser common on PCs, but not fully supported on Macs.

IG-ON - when you press the Power button twice without your foot on the brake.

IMA - Integrated Motor Assist - Honda's hybrid technology

JPEG - Joint Photographic Experts Group - is a compressed picture file format, file can be viewed using QuickTime and web browsers

KB - Knowledge Base

km - kilometer

km/H - Kilometers Per Hour

LED - Light Emitting Diode - an alternate mode of illumination, instead of incandescent bulbs, they last longer because there is no filament that can be damaged in low impact situations and use less energy, they also light quicker when energy is applied to them but are not as bright as typical bulbs used for illumination so at this time are limited to use as brake lights.

LEV - Low Emissions Vehicle (The least stringent emission standard for all new cars sold in California beyond 2004)

LMPG - Lifetime Miles Per Gallon

LOTR - The Lord of the Rings

LPG - Liquid Petroleum Gas (Propane)

LSD - Limited Slip Differential

LRR - Low Rolling Resistance (tires)

MeOH - Methanol

MFD - Multiple Function Display (the screen)

MG1 - the smaller motor-generator and ICE starter that is connected to the "sun" gear in the planetary gear set. It can run forwards and backwards, and under ECU control can generate mechanical force (e.g. when acting as "starter" for the gas engine) or can turn mechanical force from the engine into electricity.

MG2 - the larger "traction" motor-generator that is connected to the "ring" gear in the planetary gear set. It can also run forwards and backwards. It is DIRECTLY connected to the front drive wheels, and can supply power to move the car, and when regenerative braking occurs it converts motion power from the wheels back into electricity.

MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light

MPG - Miles Per Gallon - standard measure of fuel efficiency in USA

MPH - Miles Per Hour - standard measure of speed for cars

MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

NAV - the navigational system option found in some Prius

NCF - New Car Features

NDF - Non-Documented Feature

NiMH - Nickel Metal Hydride (battery)

NOx - Nitrogen Oxide or Nitrogen Oxides

NVH - Noise, Vibration, Harshness

OBD - On Board Diagnostics

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

PbA - Lead Acid (battery)

PDF - Portable Document Format, file can be viewed using Adobe's Acrobat Reader (a free program) as well as most web browsers that include the Acrobat plug-in.

PGU - Planetary Gear Unit the power transmission and distribution device of the HSG directs power between the ICE, MG1, MG2 and the wheels as directed by the HV ECU.

PID - Purposely Ignorant Driver

PPM - Parts Per Million

Priustoric - All that transpired before the Prius

PSD - Power-Split-Device--the planetary gear set which divides power between the ICE and the two electric motor-generators. It also functions as the continuously-variable transmission

PTC - Positive Temperature Coefficient

PZEV - Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle or Practically Zero Emission Vehicle - a SULEV tailpipe emissions vehicle that has no evaporative emissions when not in use.

RFG - ReFormulated Gasoline

RSS - basically a fast easy way to summarize a dynamic website using formattable text that is platform independent.

RTFM - Read The Fine Manual

SAB - side air bags

SKS - Smart Key System (formerly SS/SE)

SMR - System Main Relay connects and disconnects the HV power between the HV Battery and the inverter assembly.

SOC - state of charge, referring to the battery's state of charge when viewing the Energy screen

SRS - Supplemental Restraint System

SS/SE - Smart Start and Smart Entry system

Stealth Mode - (also "EV mode") driving the Prius on electric power only

STFU - Shut The F*** Up

SULEV - Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (90% cleaner than the average new 2003 model year vehicle)

SUV- Sport Utility Vehicle

TBN - Total Base Number (the remaining level of additives left after use)

TCE - Total Carbon Emissions

TCH - Toyota Camry Hybrid (see HyCam)

THHT - Toyota Hand-Held Tester.....plugs in to OBD II interface to read car's computer codes

THS - Toyota Hybrid System.....refers to Toyota's method of combining gas and electric power

THS-II - Toyota Hybrid System II = Hybrid Synergy Drive

TRAC - Toyota Rent a Car

TSB - Technical Service Bulletin

Turtle mode - driving the Prius with low battery, or battery too hot or two cold, so that an orange "turtle" icon shows near the speedometer, warning to avoid forceful acceleration

ULEV - Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (50% cleaner than the average new 2003 model year vehicle)

UOA - Used Oil Analysis (used to find out what is in the oil (contaminants) and also to see if there is an underlying problem with the ICE)

VIN - Vehicle Identification Number

VOC - Volatile Organic Compound

VSC - Vehicle Stability Control (sometimes referred to as Vehicle Skid Control), an option on the Prius that provides traction control

XM - a brand of satellite radio

YG - Yahoo!Group

ZEV - Zero Emission Vehicle - Zero tailpipe emissions, and 98% cleaner than the average new 2003 model year vehicle (currently the only vehicle that qualifies is electric)

2. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Actually, the "original Starship Enterprise" was the NCC-1701. After she was damaged, Starfleet decided she wasn't worth repairing and was scheduled to be scrapped before Kirk stole her and turned her into a lawn dart. The 1701A was second Constitution class ship to bear the name Enterprise.

[/geek out]

3. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oooh, anyone know if there'll ever be another star trek series?

oops this isn't in fred's house of pancakes... so...

i think 1701a is more famous on prius chat for being john's website: http://john1701a.com/

4. Wynder

Wynder New Member

We can only pray -- maybe Starfleet Academy based?

Absolutely. :) Great, informative site.

5. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    starfleet academy based might be cool... but i liked TNG era a lot more! star trek history is probably better in books! =P i wanna see wars like at the end of DS9, the adventures of TNG again! sigh, and them borgs, species 8472,...

i think it'd be cool to follow up on the kids on TNG. like wesley crusher (the guy who goes off exploring) or like a child from another dimension.

ok back to the prius, i like mine.

6. Wynder

Wynder New Member

You don't need a series to do that! http://www.wilwheaton.net/ :blink:

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a very brief list I found on one thread.. I'm sure there are many more.... If folks can think of commonly used codes and can put the interpretation beside it, They can be copied and pasted to the list.

Can we decipher and add these codes? please go there to see the references.. http://priuschat.com/-t3971.html
    Here are some abbreviations from this site alone that I don't see even on this post:
    1. MSS: - post #164
    2. TSC's - post #12
    3. NTF - post #15
    4. IMO - post #15 & 131 "In my Opinion"
    5. U44 - post #21 After reading post 50, only then I realized its part of the VIN#.
    6. ROT - (Rule of Thumb)
    7. ODO - post #29, 71 & 136
    8. SSC-40E - post #35
    9. 40D - post #35
    10. TAC - post #35
    11. IMHO - post #62
    12. OTOH - post #100
    13. HUMU - post #86

8. tag

tag Senior Member

MSS - username of a PC member
    TSC - ??????? (Toyota Service Campaign???)
    NTF - ??????? (No Trouble Found???)
    IMO - In My Opinion
    U44 - part of a VIN
    ROT - Rule of Thumb
    ODO - Odometer
    SSC-40E - service campaign code
    40D - service campaign code
    TAC - Toyota Auto Care
    IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
    OTOH - On The Other Hand
    HUMU - the name of Bob Allen's (a PC member) car

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What might IOW mean?

10. tag

tag Senior Member

In Other Words

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks.. you can tell I dont' talk on forums much!

heres another that may be of use..

TPWS - Tire Pressure Warning System

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what about SOL?

13. tag

tag Senior Member

Hey, that's spanish for "sun", right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess we'll have to go with Strictly Out (of) Luck for that one.....much like Read The Fine Manual for RTFM. :D

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea.. and ROTFL?

Tag.. I just want you to know.. that I for one appreciate your efforts to update this thread for my benifit and all on the forum.

It has not been easy for me to "expose" my ignorance at the risk or ridicule to ask for such a request. But I believed it was a real need, so I did so.

I also appreciate that this post has been pinned. I do still have to be creative to access it here on the forum without referring to my own personal notes.

When reading a thread and fumbling across a term that is questionable, I have found it is difficult to bounce to this thread for reference without losing the thread I am reading?.. Sometimes using the back button suffices.

I notice someone has placed the "2006 Prius Info" at the top so it can be accessed from literally any page your on!... If you guys ever deem this thread that valuable, that would be a nice consideration!... if not, I can manage ok the way it is.

I just didnt' know if others were having that same deliema or not?

After all, a tool is only as useful, as it is accessible.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

Rolling On The Floor Laughing

Re making the Glossary accessible from any page, similar to "2006 Prius Info", I believe only Danny could do that (i.e. it would take Admin privileges).

16. tag

tag Senior Member

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nice!... we can just provide this link, so we don't have to duplicate.
    I know our chart was originally "only" for hybrid related acronymns and has evolved to more due to need..... although it would be nice to have them all in one basket, there are so many more non-hybrid/technical related ones that its simplier to have two charts... one for hybrid, the other for general.

Easier for us to maintain too... thanks.

18. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TCE - Total Carbon Emissions

PID - Purposely Ignorant Driver (aka DDC Driver Doesn't Care) (ok, I made these last two up) :rolleyes:

19. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very Useful for new prius owners. Bravo

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid