1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Activating alarm on '05 Pkg 4

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nobhill52, Dec 28, 2005.

1. nobhill52

nobhill52 New Member

I have searched the messages for clues on how to activate the alarm system in my '05 Pkg 4 (AM), and took the instructions to the dealer. The tech followed the scan tool operation (1. customize, 2. DOP, 3. ON) -- on my car it says it already is ON. But tested the alarm per the manual, and it does not operate.

Now I have gotten the Fujitsu 10 instructions for installing the GBS, which has the same scan tool instructions (with pictures). If I take this to the dealer, they will tell me that this is what they already did. Is there something I am not getting? Do we need to go to the next steps in scan tool, to tell it "Warn by horn" or one of the other options?

I am to the point where I may order the GBS just to get the alarm activated, although I think that having the alarm go off after the glass is broken is kind of dumb.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I believe '05 pkg 4 had the alarm enabled. How did you test the alarm?
    Proper proceedure: lower door window, leave it down.
    Power off the car, close and lock the doors normally. With active arming (the factory default), you have to lock the car for the alarm to set. If you set the alarm to passive arming, then you don't have to lock the doors, just power off and close doors.
    Wait over 30 seconds for the alarm to set (active and passive arming).
    Open the car door with the manual latch on the inside.
    Alarm should be sounding.

As for GBS, the GBS input is normally disabled, so the scan tool will be needed to enable the GBS sensing input. This is different than enabling the alarm itself.
    Go to Individual Change
    Security
    Warn by Gls Sensor -> on

3. nobhill52

nobhill52 New Member

Pkg 4 did not have the alarm enabled. I did test per the procedures you outline. Alarm does not sound.

So I ordered the Alarm upgrade/ Glass breakage sensor kit (part # 08586-47480), and had it installed today. According to the part description, it should enable both the GBS and the alarm on door-open. I tested it again after installation, per same procedure, and same result.

However, if I leave the car, lock, then unlock, and don't open a door, after 30 seconds, the doors lock themselves. Is this passive arming? But the alarm does not go off when I open a door.

I called back to the dealer, and the service rep checked with the tech. According to them, this unit will not add the door alarm.

So I am more frustrated than ever. It seems like I should be able to get the alarm on.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Did you read the install instructions in their entirety? You need the scantool to activate the alarm (which you always had), and enable its GBS sensor so that it will work with the hardware you installed. Yes, that is correct, the hardware you added is only the glass breakage sensor. The rest is already in the car, waiting to be turned on.

To clarify my point, I am attaching the instructions for the alarm, and the GBS only. Note that the instructions are nearly identical except for the addition of activating the alarm using the THHT.

Oh, and the door relocking when you locked and unlocked? That is not passive alarm. That is an auto relock which will occur if you don't open a door within 30 seconds after unlocking. This is in case you (or something else) unintentionally unlocked the door without you realizing, thus leaving your car unprotected.

5. wooha2000

wooha2000 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Jan 17 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]191901[/snapback]</div>

Anyway I can get these files as the dealership (sales guy) said he would activate never heard of it.

6. wooha2000

wooha2000 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Jan 17 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]191901[/snapback]</div>