1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Actress Jean Stapleton RIP

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Jun 1, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Although I never knew her Jean Stapleton passed away today 90 years old. I recall her as Edith Bunker the dingbat wife of Archie Bunker on a popular TV show All In The Family. She made me laugh. What greater gift then the ability to make someone laugh.

I'm sure there is a place in Heaven for her. Godspeed Jean!

image.jpg

image.jpg

frodoz737 likes this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    RIP Jean Stapleton. Like you said she made me laugh every week.

JMD likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    she was great in you've got mail. the shop around the corner.;)

JMD likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was pretty young, just a kid.

But I remember the impact "All In The Family" had at the height of it's popularity. I remember the adults in my family at gatherings talking about the shocking, scandalous and heartfelt and touching episodes.

I have to admit, as a child at the time I often was allowed to watch and often watched but not with the sophistication that would catch much of the social and political significance of many of the episodes.

However, I did rediscover "All In The Family" many years later as a young adult. It seemed to me to be lightening in a bottle, timeless, but simply the perfect cast at the perfect time, including Jean Stapleton.

There are certain sitcoms that are timeless but also could only be done within their respective timeframes with their respective casts. Some go on too long, and maybe " All in The Family" did...I'm thinking of later years when Archie owned a bar and the show had lost Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers.

I put "All in The Family" in it's best years, in the classification of such timeless and great Sitcom/Drama's as MASH. Another impeccably cast work that was able to combine flat out humor, with real drama and social importance attached.

In anycase, I'm saddened to hear of her passing away. She did a pitch perfect job portraying Edith Bunker and with time on that sitcom created a depth of character that made a Edith Bunker more than just a one dimensional supporting cast member. More than just a foil to Carrol O' Connors' Archie Bunker. I could probably bore everyone with a long, long essay about her character alone.

I can still remember as a kid, the television being on and the start of "All in The Family". Honestly, as a kid I hated the introduction to that show. The purposely off key singing of Stapleton and Connor singing "Those Were The Days", the grainy newsreel looking footage of 1970's boroughs....as a kid, I didn't get why the adults were so in to this program....not when Planet of The Apes- The Series or Bionic Man might be on.....

It was only years later as an adult that I was able through cable television to revisit " All in The Family", and learn that the off key singing of Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker....was pitch perfect.

JMD and ftl like this.
  5. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    She definitely brought a lot of laughter to a lot of people. I didn't know her from All in the Family. I have never seen an episode, but do remember her from "You've Got Mail." She had a long life and I am sure her sense of humor helped that.

JMD likes this.
  6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

JMD likes this.
  7. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

JMD likes this.
  8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There was one episode where she was going through "the change". In that episode she had to depart from her usual nice character and turn into an occasional raging b**ch. It was a role requiring absolutely perfect acting to pull it off. She did. It would still be great today.