1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

actual fuel economy peak hr drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clayton4115, Nov 20, 2007.

1. clayton4115

clayton4115 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    hi all

i dont have a prius and i know the car is very fuel economical, i have a 2005 Civic which is a very nice car, but in peak hour traffic i dont get very good fuel economy

when i talk about peak hour traffic i am taking about start and go traffic where average speed is less than 40km/h

i just want to know what actual fuel economy you would get in peak hour traffic, im sure it be like 2l/100km

whereas in the civic it would be 10l/100

regards

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can easily get 70 MPG in highway traffic congestions. There is not really a complete stop because I plan and leave some extra room infront of me.

I took a video in such condition so I can just link like this. :)

3. clayton4115

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Nov 21 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]542280[/snapback]</div>
    wow thats incredible !!

what a car!!

id love to own one, but i cant come to grips getting rid of my civic as i like her very much!!

:p

4. ezbngrn

ezbngrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even if you do come to a complete stop the ICE turns off and doesn't use any fuel. Miami traffic SUX. In heavy traffic the ICE will not come on much since light acceleration is done with the electric motor and when stopped the ICE is off. Mostly the ICE will come on when the BAtt gets low on charge esp. if you are using the A/C.

5. clayton4115

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    i must say after watching that video, the traffic isnt too bad there, here it is actual stop for 10 secs then drive 200 feet stop for another 15 secs etc etc

real real stop n go

there it seem free flowing traffic

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Conventional cars are extremely inefficient under creep-and-go conditions because their engines are always operating so far outside their optimal power output. The Prius, on the other hand, runs its engine always much closer to optimal power output. The excess power is used to charge the battery, and when the battery is sufficiently charged, then the car shuts the engine off and meets low-speed low-power-demand driving, such as creep-and-go from the battery and electric motors.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clayton4115 @ Nov 21 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]542617[/snapback]</div>
    Then, this video may help.
    http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=prius+hv+battery

When the traffic get slower with complete stops, one can rely on HV battery power alone.

Note that, the slope of that section of the highway is mostly downhill. I was able to go 1.5 miles with one bar. Depending on the gradient of the hill, AC usage, and acceleration speed, you may get less mile out of the battery. For me, 95% of the time, traffic jam is over before the battery runs low enough for the engine to kick solely to recharge it. ideally, you want to recharge the battery when the car is moving.