1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acura Aggression commercials

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mmcdonal, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose you have all seen the new series of Acura commercials. The tag line is "Aggression in its most elegant form."

I emailed them to remind them that aggressive driving is illegal in many states, but they didn't give a damn, of course. Maybe it was because I also acknowledged that they were just puffing their lame over-priced Honda Accords. :D

How do you go about bringing some heat on this sort of advertising, or do you think I am just being a priss. Any ideas?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll vote for Priss:D

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought was chrysler's milieux. oh well, i see toyota do it with lexus. they're all in the business of selling cars. as many cars as possible. cars, trucks and suv's. that toyota chose to do something outside the box is commendable, but honda came before them with the insight I.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can appreciate that, but you should spend some time driving in MD or VA. The last thing we need are more weenies who think they have carte blanche to be a d*ck on the highway because they believe something a marketing tool told them.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

No, I shouldn't spend more time driving there.:eek: I spent enough time there on business trips when I was working. If you drive there all them time, then you have my sympathy.

6. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thankfully I telework two days a week now most weeks. The other days, its 40 miles each way from a Baltimore suburb to Capitol Hill.

:dizzy:

7. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't like the principles that their advertising is espousing, by all means tell them so.

I agree by the way.

8. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is why the DC area has such aggressive drivers, not car commercials.

9. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, though, the DC area has both aggressive drivers, and car commercials. Or did you mean we have aggressive drivers because of the long commutes, and not because of the car commercials.... okay, I think I just explained it.

We do have some aggressive drivers. Not all the drivers are aggressive, in fact most of them are not. But enough are that the cops are on the war path since those few make a big "impact," as it were. The last thing we need is to market this mentality like somehow it is a good, athletic thing (they shills are all athletes.) Most people think that driving fast counts as a work out. They are not athletes, just frustrated people who should move somewheres else.

BTW, the saddest aggressive driver story I know of is a fellow who got frustrated that traffic was taking so long to get off of Route 270 on to Democracy Blvd, and he flew around the person waiting to make a right into moving traffic, and flipped that driver off in time to crash head on into oncoming traffic and kill himself. That happened in the 1980's, and things haven't gotten better since then. I bet he would have purchased one of these.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not Acura's fault - it's not like this sort of thing is something new. Car companies have been very successful at selling cars as extensions of our personalities. Or maybe as substitutes for one.

And all those depictions of a single car on an open road border on false advertising. Where's the sports car overheating in traffic, a fat balding guy at the wheel, golf clubs in the passenger seat because they don't fit in the trunk? :p

It's much easier to sell something based on a false image of who we want to be, not on what we actually need.

1 person likes this.
  11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. The closest most SUVs and trucks get to offroading is when they hop the curb. But it makes a pretty commercial for a jeep in the mud.