1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

acura hybrids (?)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ~sparky~, May 14, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

anyone hear of acura producing hybrid vehicles?

i'm getting rid of my TL-S (which i really like) for my 05 tideland pearl p5 arriving next month...

i have always liked my hondas, and my acuras even better, but the mileage and the cutting-edgedness (is that a word?) of the prius simply can't be beat by anything honda offers...

??

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no idea. A hybrid TL would be nuts but I think Honda might focus on affordability first. Perhaps a hybrid CR-V? or even the Acura RD-X. They'll probably want an SUV since they already have 3 cars (technically)

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There was a rumor of a hybrid Acura RL when the RL got released in Oct, 2004. Why? Acura is not going to produce V8 (Their CEO pretty much said that as long as he is the CEO, Honda will not produce V8 for production vehicles...) The only way around that is to add hybrid power to the 300-hp V6 of RL to compete in luxury car market segment, which is filled with V8s (GS430, LS430, M45, BMW545i, E430,A6 4.2....)

4. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

i was thinking more along the lines of the tsx - a little smaller and able to achieve the economy.

i looked at a tsx, but the price diff between the tls and the tsx was not enough to justify the step down in performance and features for me... so i went with the tls.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TSX? don't know. I don't know about the US but Acura Canada (or Honda Canada actually) seems to be going on a price-happy run. The TSX, RSX, RL and EL have gone on price hikes with little or not equipment change. Frankly, to raise the price to make your company seem more like a premium company isn't the way to go.