1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acura to Prius... Purchasing Advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gescom, Aug 1, 2012.

1. gescom

gescom New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2010 Acura TL (AWD/Tech) which I got early this year after my previous car (2007 Acura TL) was totaled. I went without a car payment for a little over a year, but when my car got totaled, I decided I wouldn't mind a car payment again if I upgraded a bit, hence the 2010 model. I was able to get up to 32mpg on the highway in my 07 TL, and now about 28mpg in the 10 TL (a decline because of the AWD).

I'm having second thoughts about my purchase now (about 6 months later). I love the feel and performance of the TL, but it requires premium fuel, the mpg isn't so good in city driving, and my feelings about payments may be wavering. Anyhow, I'm entertaining the idea of getting a Prius because of gas mileage and more flexible cargo space. The interior passenger space of the 3rd gen Prius is practically identical to my TL (Prius is a little narrower, not sure about the 2nd gen), which I like. I put 80,000 miles on my first TL with absolutely no problems, just regular maintenance (free oil changes, too), so reliability and low maintenance is important to me. I don't really want to give up some nice features like premium sound, backup camera, iPod hookup, xenon headlights, etc.

My question is, do I trade my TL on a 2010 Prius with low miles and retain a car payment (albeit slightly lower) or get a higher mileage (70k+ miles) 2006-2008 Prius and be rid of a car payment altogether? And faced with that decision, is there a justifiable difference of the 3rd gen versus the 2nd gen Prius? I drove a 2010 Prius for the first time today, and though I wasn't blown away, it was better than expected. I noticed some economy-car plasticky sounding squeaks, and the acceleration was something to get used to, but it's a complete turn-off by any means since it was kind of expected. My best friend's wife owns a 2008 Prius that I may test drive to compare models.

2. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are nuanced differences between gen2 and gen3, some of which favor the older vehicle and some of which favor the new (in my opinion), although one is not significantly better than the other.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't really want to give up some nice features like premium sound, backup camera, iPod hookup, xenon headlights, etc.

premium sound - forget about it - none of trim levels in either Gen II or III have "premium sound"
    backup camera - the higher trim levels have the camera in both II and III Generations
    iPod hookup - Gen II and some Gen III have only Aux input for the iPod
    Xeon headlights - only on Turing models in the Gen II - none on the Gen III (Gen III has LED lights as an option) Gen II had nasty problems with the Xeon lights in some model years).

I have both a 2008 Gen II and a 2010 Gen III. I prefer the Gen III because of its tighter more stable ride at highway speeds, the higher horsepower and better mpg (between 3 and 5 mpg better for the average lead footed driver). The Gen III seats fit me better that the flatter Gen II (but some people perfer the Gen II seats).

From your description I would guess that a high trim level Gen III would be the right match for you.

4. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I owned a gen II for five years before trading it in on a 2011 gen III. I definitely like the gen III much better, except for the fact that my gen II had a back-up camera and the new one does not. I really miss that feature. The gen III has more power, a much smoother transition between engine starts and stops, and so far the lifetime mileage is almost 6 mpg better than the old one.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    08's are pretty solid, early gen III's had some squeakability issues. maybe you should rent one for awhile. that's a big change from the acura and you sound like the sort of person who thinks something is a good idea and goes for it but regrets the decision down the road.

6. gescom

gescom New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only reasons I'm second-guessing my 2010 TL purchase art that my priorities are changing and the sport-tuned ride and seats have become little much for me. I don't regret for a second getting my 07 TL and would have kept it forever had it not been totaled. I considered getting another 07 TL, but I like the storage space the hatchback offers without having to drive an SUV.

I'm definitely looking at a gen III now. As long as the upgraded JBL sound isn't awful, I think I'll be fine. The HID headlights aren't a big deal. The basic aux input is fine for me. I find that the integrated controls can be less than exceptional when using music apps other than the built-in iPhone player (like Spotify). It's good overall in my Acura, but not without quirks and not something I couldn't live without.

7. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    sounds like you're deciding between a gen 3 3 vs 4 (3 is the min for gps and backup camera included). the 4 and 5s have the power seats with more adjusters. there are many threads as to how uncomfortable (or comfortable) the seats are the 2 and 3s vs the need for the lumbar adjuster for 4 and 5s.

headlights. tls have some of the best projectors in the business. so its unfair to compare. you easily swap the factory headlights for a hid kit ($100-150) or even go the retro fit route.

jbl in 4 and 5 models are decent speakers, not audiophile level. you can always aftermarket.

theres an "usb with ipod connectivity" in all gen 3s.

it might be hard transition from the tl, a nice luxury car, to a prius. someone described the prius as a 20k car with tons of tech. theres a few basic stuff on the tl that even 4 doesn't have. for example, the 07 tl gave me warning signs on pressure readings on each individual tire. a few days ago i got a thorn in the tire. the prius warning sign came up. i had to look up the warning sign. then to top it off, it didnt tell me which tire was low. to match the your current tl settings, you need to look at the higher models. Or you can buy two and aftermarket everything you want.

but i love that the prius takes 87 gas on a 10-11 gallon tank that gives me 500-600-700 miles. And I like the solar roof.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beware that among used 2010s, about the first six months production (out of nearly 20 months total production) lacked USB.