1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ADAC Germany tests Diesel Hybrid vs regular Mercedes Taxi

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pakitt, Jun 10, 2012.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ADAC has published in their monthly member's magazine "Motorwelt", issue of June 2012 page 56, an interesting test about the newly available Peugeot 3008 Diesel Hybrid.

They asked a Munich Taxi driver, that usually uses a Mercedes E 200D (13 years old) to drive 1 day the 3008 on the same routes he drove the day earlier. The taxi drive wrote down exactly what routes he did with the Mercedes and then re-did them the following day with the 3008.
    Whereas on average with the Mercedes he would do an average 9.1L/100km, he achieved a 6.1L/100km with the 3008. And he recognized that due to the lower sounds from the engine, less vibrations, silence at the traffic light and in 30km/h zones, he drove much more relaxes and stress free.

The article closes by saying that "the experienced taxi driver could imagine to exchange his E-class with a Diesel Hybrid. But the diesel hybrid from Mercedes, available in summer, costs 52000€ - that's expensive. The 3008 is available for 34150€, a Prius from 26500€. The gas hybrid drives by the way even more efficiently and has been selected by ADAC as especially low-polluting "Eco-Taxi". With success: there are already many Prius in the yellow-taxi color".

I was amazed, positively, of the final comment from ADAC.

And I was amazed that the 3008 could not go down to 5L/100km.

The overall test was on 120km total kilometers (a table is provided with times, routes, destinations and distances on the magazine - very accurate I would say).

Nevertheless the baseline is that saving 3L, with an overall 50.000km driven yearly, that would mean about 1500L of diesel less (and related emissions), yielding a saving of about 2200€. If the 53000 Taxis in Germany, goes on the article, would use this technology, that would be a few million liters. Not even considering delivery vans or handicraftsman.

But ADAC, is still ADAC, so although another non-EU and non-German technology can do clearly better and will less pollutants (fine particles which heavily affect EU cities air quality), the article is still titled "Hybriddiesel: Ideal für Taxis" / "Hybrid Diesels: Ideal for Taxis"...:rolleyes:

austingreen likes this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hybrid diesels - ideal for taxis? Only in Germany :)

6.1l/100km is good? I think I had mine down to 5.7l/100km on a 12 month average.

I do like the Peugeot but worry of its long term reliability. Some cabbies here use the Merc E320 diesels but I find them way too expensive and the auto transmissions are unreliable. Don't Mercedes do a special German taxi model in beige or is that some urban myth from years ago?

I'd have liked the Prius+ as a taxi but not at the silly money Toyota UK want for them.