1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adapting passenger seat to passenger with MD.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Goolash, May 22, 2008.

1. Goolash

Goolash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need some advice on making the passenger seat more comfortable for a passenger with MD (muscular dystrophy). We are taking an 8hr drive each way trip soon, and she does not have the neck strength to hold her head at the angle which the stock headrest forces, for longer than 20 minutes or so before getting a headache. Would a simple neck cushion like what Tom's sells work, or can I get a headrest that is more in line with the seatback somewhere?

2. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have terrible neck issues, and have had to use pillows of all sorts, at one time or another. My thoughts are, you could purchase 2 or maybe even 3 different types that look like they would do the job, and then have your friend choose the one she feels works the best, and then return the unused ones for a refund.

I have to tell you though, the best thing that's worked for me is a med. sized feather down pillow. Because unlike foam or synthetic padding, feather down is much more malleable and can be adjusted to just the right thickness, at the exact spots you need it.

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rent a more comfortable car like a volvo and duct tape her head to the head rest..

4. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would suggest several steps:
    turn the headrest around backwards to reduce the angle

lean the seatback back a little so she is in more of a reclining position

get a down pillow as suggested

get a memory foam mattress pad (cheap at Target) and cut a piece to fit the seat and seatback to provide more "cush" for her.

Or, problemchild actually had a good idea, rent a more comfortable car (but skip the duct tape!)
    Good luck and have a nice trip
    Fernsmom

5. Goolash

Goolash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh, I'll probably go with the cushions. I only just bought the Prius, not going to spend an extra car payment's worth of $$$ on a rental for three days. Although I thought about reversing the headrest, it only has ratchets on one bar, which means if it fits backwards, it won't lock in place, which I recently found out is necessary for the safety feature built into the seat which 'pushes' the headrest up and forward a couple cm during a collision to further reduce whiplash. Of course, as problem said, I suppose duct tape would solve that problem, heh.

Speaking of safety features, I need to go get the passenger side airbag recalibrated. It turns off when she's in the seat, and she weighs 85 lbs, more than the 60 lbs I've heard cited as the low end limit.