1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add insult to injury (kind of)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bobbelco, Aug 1, 2007.

1. bobbelco

bobbelco Junior Member

On my way to work this morning, I was on the Dulles Toll Road and just for fun I decided to draft the Exxon tanker truck (not too closely) instead of passing him (ok, so I didn't pass gas :unsure: ). During the 4-5 minutes of drafting I got darn close to 75mpg on my 2003 base model with 154K+ on the clock. In the 400+ miles I have done since buying the car last Friday, I have a 51.7mpg average. Not as much fun as the '72 MGB GT but much more fuel effecient. :D

So it's not just enough to pass the station but I got to use the tanker to help me do it...

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat and Prius-dom!

Noticed you're from Taneytown. I've been through there a few times on my way to and from Emmitsburg (National Emergency Training Center). I'll honk next time I'm passing by. Assuming you haven't gotten a little too close to one of those tankers. ;)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And what a great initial post!!

Hey, that's about the best their good for. :lol:

Welcome to PriusChat, Bob. 145k on the ODO, huh? That's pretty impressive. Certainly a blow to CNW and the others who believe that the Prius will simply stop functioning at 110k miles.

4. bobbelco

bobbelco Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 1 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]488981[/snapback]</div>
    For as quiet as it is out here (especially compared to northern NJ!) I have no doubt I'll hear you. FWIW I was following at a safe distance and I could still see the drivers mirror. Of course with a tanker truck it's easier since the trailer is not square.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 1 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]489021[/snapback]</div>
    I was a little concerned about buying one with 154k but everything I've read about real cars with that kind of mileage says they're still going. And for what I paid (about 1/2 of NADA) I figured even if I have to replace the battery, I'm still ahead. So far so good but still working on my skills to squeeze every gallon out.

5. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So.... what took you so long to join the PriusChat community? :p

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Never thought about safely following an oil tanker. Wow, what a point of view.

Now, that's making a statement with Prius!