1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sparlin, Nov 16, 2007.

1. sparlin

sparlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 2006 Prius has a "map" button on the steering wheel, but does not have the Factory navigation system installed. Is it possible or practical to add this feature? I bought a TomTom instead, but......

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure why you have a Map button and no NAV. Maybe Toyota standardized the buttons after the 05.

I don't think you can add the NAV. There are too many components and it would be cost prohibitive.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could add it, but it's not gonna be cheep. You were better off getting it when you bought the car or trading up for it.

4. gforeman

gforeman New Member

I have a 2006 Accord with the full NAV package. To be honest, I like the Garmin NUVI 360 portable better than the expensive factory NAV. I'll never get a car with it again.

My 2 cents.

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sparlin @ Nov 16 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]540506[/snapback]</div>
    You did good not buying a car with built in NAV, the TOmtom is better than the built in system and more accurate from what I read. BTW what does a map update cost for the Tomtom.

6. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

TomTom

Is that what you read? You were too cheap to buy the navi and now you feel that you have to make excuses? Don't be a pussy. Just realize that you screwed up.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What the frak?

That was totally unnecessary.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Spartin, this doesn't make sense. There are 2 different MFD units for 2006, with & without the extra buttons for the nav, etc. IMO you made a good choice.

9. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my reading of any thread dealing with adding nav or additional electronics to the MFD, I have come to the view that unless you wish to invest in a Coastal Tech lockpick package, and then hook up the external nav system to the video feed, forget trying to add anything to what is setup on the car you bought. There is no easy, or cheap, solution.