1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add Safety Sense P to Prius 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by OHroadwarrior, Oct 9, 2020.

1. OHroadwarrior

OHroadwarrior Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 16 four. I noted it had been in a nose accident. It had the blue logo sensor in front and the windshield camera, so it never occurred to me it was missing forward collision and lane departure, until I diverged the lane and it never came on. I did some quick looking. There is no front radar and the steering wheel accessory buttons are missing. Of course I can buy both. But if I buy them and install them and the fuses are there, will they work. Is the wiring there regardless? I am suspecting from what I now see, it did not originally have them, because they would have changed the steering wheel. Please help gurus. the Toyota dealer was of no useful info. My other option is the
    Brandmotion ADAS-1100 Advanced Driver Assistance System with Collision Avoidance & DVR which would add another camera. which direction should I be going?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I can’t recall having heard from anyone who has added any version of Toyota Safety Sense to a vehicle that wasn’t built with it. There has been at least one attempt, described in a PriusChat thread from 2017, but the member who posted it (@KOH Jim) hasn’t returned to tell us whether it worked:

About TSS Malfunction message. | PriusChat

The millimeter wave radar sensor assembly and the steering wheel switches aren’t the only parts you’d need; for example, you’d have to add the radar-transparent version of the emblem, a different version of the stop light switch assembly, the driving support ECU, and several other components. See the Repair Manual and Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info) to get a general idea, but keep in mind that Toyota’s service publications aren’t written to provide all of the information needed for modifications.
    Considering the number of variations of the wire harnesses listed in the Electronic Parts Catalog, including several described as “PRE-COLLISON SYSTEM-WITHOUT,” I wouldn’t expect the wiring to be present.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As @Elektroingenieur suggests - I wouldn't bother ever trying. The chances of it working are slim and you could sink lots of $$ into trying.

BUT - just check that what is actually installed is working - possibly the previous owner has turned it off?

I assume you've read the manual - it's available online if you want a searchable copy from your computer.

Elektroingenieur likes this.