Adding 2nd Lithium pack in Parallel

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brandon Kennedy, Feb 28, 2022.

1. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I was focused on whether fuel economy would be improved, not on acceleration. However, I don't see how it would increase acceleration since the software that controls the hybrid system wouldn't change and currently, to my knowledge, acceleration is not affected by how much charge the battery has. When the battery is nearly depleted, the ICE revs more to send some more power to the electrical system to maintain torque/power.

I live in Colorado with long uphill drives in the mountains, including a 14 mile, 2,000 ft elevation gain near my home, and never felt a loss of acceleration. So I don't expect that adding battery would change that.

#41 royrose, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  2. nik2208

nik2208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    III
    this is an interesting study about the topic.. it seems to give positive answer to both the questions "is it possible" and "is it worth"

Attached Files:

Mambo Dave and bisco like this.
  3. nik2208

nik2208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    III
    just added to this thread a relevant study about the topic, hope u'll take notice of that. You're right along all the line.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting study, but i couldn't find the answer to 'is it worth it', or any cost involved

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ask @jacktheripper if he thinks it's worth it.

It's a complex system that is only getting more complex as battery technology advances.
    It's expensive to add another pack to a car and the benefits are not completely doubled as most might believe at first when pondering the issues.
    If you can DIY than it can easily pay for itself within the lifetime of the car, but there are a lot of reasons for that not necessarily related to the extra battery pack itself.

Mambo Dave likes this.