1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a 12v socket in the cargo area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GaryP, Nov 6, 2008.

1. GaryP

GaryP New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've purchased a 12v socket (search 12V Marinco at Parts Express; I'm not allowed to post URLs yet) to install in one of the removable panels in the corner of the rear cargo area.

I'd like some advice as to where to tap into the 12v power, for BOTH:

1. Always on. Of course the battery is right there but not sure that's the best always on solution for this application (charging a Zune) and even if it is I'd like to be able to consider other options.

2. Ignition on.

Also, any advice how to drill a 1" or so diameter hole in one of those panels?

Also, please help me decide which (1 or 2) is best for this particular application: charging my Zune.

ALWAYS ON: Problem is, it seems whenever, however the Zune is plugged in for charging (USB, 12V) it turns on and stays on to some degree, even after fully charged. The screen can be programmed to go dim, but the unit still seems to stay on, thus potentially draining out the battery. I believe it's pulling (.5 amps x 5 volts =) 2.5 watts? and that's only when it's actually getting charged, so it would take a while, but it could happen?

IGN-ON: Not sure I drive enough to keep the unit charged as much as I'll need it because a full charge doesn't seem to last that long.

Thanks.

2. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why not charge it in one of the front 2 sockets - either in the center console or down by the glovebox? I use a 4-way socket splitter in the center console so I can charge a cell phone, bluetooth headset, etc.

3. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Zune is always partly on then there's a good chance that any direct charging connection you add would kill the 12V battery. Use the existing charger outlet inside the center console.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ha! Now that is good for a laugh. If you connect your Zune to the HV battery pack you will get a flash, snap, and a pile of burned electronics. Save yourself the time and just drive over it. ;)

Tom

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I would like to see, be sure to take a video and share the YouTube video URL with us!!!

KK6PD

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That 200 plus volts would make your charging session very quick! :)