1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a AUX input on a 2007 Basic Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dsmking, Feb 20, 2008.

1. dsmking

dsmking Junior Member

I got my local dealer to add an AUX input to my 2007 Basic Prius. I ran into a few issues:

1) The AUX input is wired into the FM system because they claim the 2007 Basic Prius does not support the AUX in directly. Is that correct? I thought I heard of someone else doing it with the basic radio.

2) When I picked up the car the red triangle was lite. I pointed it out to them and they took it back to check it out. When they came back a few minutes later it was no longer lite. What surprised me is they claim that sometimes the red triangle goes on when starting and the car is ok. Now it hasn't done it in ~10 months of ownership and and then did it three times in a row. Has anyone heard of similar issues?

Needless to say I'm not happy,
    David

2. NY-Vmax-Joe

NY-Vmax-Joe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good luck...

I tried to get some help with adding a aux plug to our base model 2008 package one as well. No one here on Prius chat could tell me what to do.
    I figured I'd have to buy a certain type of wire to plug into the back of the radio but no info has been thrown at me besides buying a expensive audio conversion kit like the dice unit. :cool:

So far I'm just using a FM transmitter for my Ipod which sounds terrible and looses reception. :(

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never done it, but Best Buys advertises iPod (aux) input kit installs for any car. Check them or any good stereo shop. The Best Buys cost is around $100 as I recall. I was looking into it for my Subaru, in which I was using a cassette adaptor, and (unsatisfactory) FM transmitter (old style iTrip). Buying the Prius (with proper aux option package) made all that go away for me.

4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not happy with the red triangle issue. I think you need to get someone on that. [​IMG]

5. jkritz

jkritz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    would like to add aux for mp3 player in 2009 prius basic any suggestions?
    thanx

6. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome Jkritz to PC!

I had a 2007 Prius Touring base model with no AUX input. My solution was to trade it for a brand new 2008 Prius Touring Package 5. Perhaps not the cheapest fix, it but worked for me

Seriously, I believe the DICE unit and some others have integration models for the base Prius and the self-install is actually very easy if you are willing to try it. However, there is not a fix under $100 that you are likely to find. -- Once you have done it you will find the fix well worth the money.

7. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The basic radio in the '06-'09 cars has no ability to accept an AUX input directly. You have two choices. Upgrade to the next level radio (buy from a salvage shop or auction), or add a device like DICE, Grom, etc to the CD changer port on the back of the base radio. I have done both and reported results in this forum. If you search this forum using my name you will find the information. Good luck with your project!