1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a Garage to the Prius Chat Site

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Matt Herring, May 27, 2010.

1. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have any of the site moderators thought about adding a fuel log garage to this site? After all, if this community is about conservation...wouldn't it be a good idea to promote that by tracking, logging and "showing off" our mpg numbers? It's also a great way to see how you're doing vs. other drivers numbers...good for competition and good for conservation to push each other to higher mpg.

I keep fuel logs on several sites (Ecomodder, Fuelly, Green Car Album, My Hybrid Car) and also keep my own log in an excel file. It's a great way to improve mpg and keep up to date on the performance of your car.

Drivers that already keep fuel logs could just enter their lifetime total mileage and consumption numbers so they are up to date and can log tanks from there. New drivers can start a fuel log (which is a great idea anyway) and watch their numbers rise beyond what they thought/expected to get in terms of fuel economy.

Most of the sites I log tanks on have leaderboards that help to push you to get better mpg. Just an idea...but would be great to see on here!

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Matty Boy!! These are the kinds of ideas our country needs. It is good people like you that make the world a better place.

3. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This community is about other things as well. Many of us are not particularly interested in hypermiling. I would prefer that drivers focus on driving instead of their mpg numbers.

BTW, your 1 mpg is nothing to be proud of.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Whoa slow down there, Chowderhead. Lets give Matty some slack, aite?

5. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nobody said you had to use the garage and fuel log function if it was on the site...it's just an option for those that are interested. :)

And...by the way...everyone should be interested in monitoring their mpg as it's crucial to keeping up to date on your vehicles performance and how efficiently you drive. :eek:

As for the 1 mpg in my sig...I haven't had to fill up my 2010 yet. Just set up the sig so it was ready when I fill up for the first time. And when I do...it's going to be a whopper! :rockon:

Plenty of room for all types around here RodJo!

6. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think this is an awesome idea. I use Fuelly and an app on my iPhone. I have only done one tank on my 2010 Prius as it is just under 3 weeks old. This tank I hope is about 54 on the MDF and maybe 52 calculated.:D

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might check some of the message archives. When GreenHybrid's database was disassembled, there was some talk including surveys to see what would be desirable features. But this is not a trival task and done badly, it can become as useless as today's "GreenHybrid" mileage database. Worse, it can also become an unpaid, full-time job.

If one shows up, I'll look at it. If not, I'm still good with what is available. Having choices is not a bad way to live. <grins>

Bob Wilson

8. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob:

I agree there are some awful examples of fuel logs and the topic is hotly debated on other sites as to what parameters should be included. And just for that reason...only basic information is necessary for the purpose of tracking mpg on this site.

Fill Date, Miles Driven, Gallons Added, MPG, Notes

*The notes section can be a very valuable piece of information to others viewing your fuel log as it tells the story of your tank. City vs. Highway miles, weather, misc info that contributed to a high or low mpg tank...whatever you want to put in there is up to you to help you compare your tanks. You are really only competing against your past results since that's the only constant of all fuel logs/tanks registered on the site (given the wide array of driving conditions that everyone faces...no two commutes are alike and are generally incomparable for true mpg stats).

The more simple it is the better! For those that have a deeper interest in number crunching...there are plenty of excellent examples to create your own excel file or use another site's garage fuel log. PC is not a hypermiling/high mileage site...it's a site for owners of Prius...and because of this just the basics in a fuel log will do.

I would hazard to guess that less than 20% of PriusChat users keep fuel logs of their own...and we're supposed to be the "green crowd" leading the way in conservation.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I kept a log for about two years after my Prius purchase. Nowadays I drive as carefully as ever for fuel economy, and make do with monitoring the MFD as an early warning of problems since I know what to expect.

As far as conservation goes, I'm much more interested in new windows and solar heating for my home these days. It's a matter of progress. The point I want to make to the OP is that Prius has been on the roads for the better part of 10 years, and a large fraction of the PC readership have multiple years of ownership under their belts. Don't expect everybody here to be at the same point on the Prius learning and experience curve.

Last point: The only good argument I can invoke for having a fuel economy database here at PC is if Danny thinks its absence will lead to significant readership loss. If not, I say use one of the databases already available since more databases is less in this instance due to dilution of the data.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe we kicked around the garage idea for a while. I think a previous bulletin board software allowed for that and when we switched over to this iteration Danny or the group decided to not pursue the garage. I do think it's a good idea though.

11. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well there's plenty of fuel log options out there so for those with interest I guess we can use those or our own. If anyone has an excel spreadsheet they use to chart consumption and it has weighted averages for tanks to account for different miles driven in each tank please pass it along!

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I used the simplest method that occurred to me --
    Each fill-up I noted gallons bought, and odometer reading;
    the numbers made a new entry in a table:

(A)start mileage, (B )end mileage, (C)tank_fill_up, (D)cum_gallons, (E)tank_mpg, (F)cum_mpg.

Tank mpg is (B-A)/C
    Cum mpg is B/D

For a while I also calculated a rolling 12 mpg average manually, but that really deserved a SS.

Addendum: A trivial SS is uploaded. Made in OO.

Attached Files:

13. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm actually looking for an excel spread sheet that already has it built in and will in the end give me a percent offset of HSI mpg vs. Calculated mpg after I have 40+ tanks input (taking into account the weighted averages of each tank).

So a tank that is 400 miles and 50 mpg is weighted against a tank that is 300 miles and 60 mpg. The 400 mile tank is weighted heavier than the 300 mile tank in the grand scheme of things.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't help you with the weighting, Matt, but you're welcomed to have my spreadsheet if you want to start there and modify.

15. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was looking at your spreadsheet Tony but didn't see that it weighted tank averages to consider tanks with higher and lower mpg based on higher and lower mileage. I think I may have come up with an excel formula to plug it into my own fuel log.

If you take a look at the my attached fuel log my calculated mpg vs. the weighted mpg is not that far off in 42 tanks with my 2009 Prius but I thought it would be important to see those numbers in case they were WAY off. In 42 tanks with my 2009 my MFD average tank was optimistic by 1.59%...the weighted average figure has the MFD being optimistic by 1.63%...not that far off.

For those that are interested (and are good at math)...if you want to take a look at my fuel log to check my math feel free to do so. I don't have any tanks input for my 2010 yet so the figures are just test figures to make sure my excel spreadsheet was working correctly. The figures for my 2009 Prius are included and are correct.

Attached Files:

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Matt, it is a lot simpler than you think. Just use the cumulative numbers to find the percent discrepancy between real and MFD. The weighting is implied.

For any one tank, the real data is end_mileage and gallons_filled;
    The MFD data is end_mileage and MFD_mpg. Calculated gallons is (end_mileage-start_mileage)/MFD_mpg.

In your case each new tank takes these inputs:
    Date;
    end_mileage;
    Virtual_MPG
    Fill_up_gallons

The rest is simple arithmetic the SS performs for you.
    Example SS attached

Attached Files:

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh yeah, that's what Tony just said.

I have a spreadsheet and have a column for the MFD reported mileage, but since all my tanks are pretty close to 8 gallons I don't bother with weighting that column. I'm more interested in temperature, when I added the EBH, was it mostly long trips or short trips, things like that, since I treat the MFD reported mileage as just a guide, not gospel, anyway.

The garage idea is a good one, and appropriate to PriusChat, but a devil to implement. I started an entry at Green Hybrid I think it was, but it wouldn't let me backfill data, I could only enter on today's date. What was I supposed to do with 2 years of data, collapse it into one tank entry? There's a hundred little details like this if you're setting it up yourself when you really get down to implementing it. Over time I add columns to my spreadsheet, not sure if that can be easily done with an online version as well. One thing I like is the price of gas. I can chart those changes, I can also easily see how much money I've saved (since I get 2x the mileage of my previous car).

18. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nerfer...Was just saying I found Tony's spreadsheet to be a good one...but not for what I was trying to do with weighting the average tanks.

The end goal here is to as accurately as possible figure out the deviation between HSI mpg and Cal'd mpg...to keep a more accurate log of my "actual mpg." In my 2009 I had been using 2% as the deviation (which was a little higher than I should have been using but it was a safe number based on my deviation results in the end and was in line with what others were finding based on their data).

I read through Bob Wilson's thread about averaging 200+ PC user tanks and he analyzed with about 5% as the deviation figure for the 2010 Prius (HSI vs. Calc'd). I want to see how my tanks compare to his analysis since his does not take into account weighted tank averages and mine will. I am guessing our deviation numbers will be fairly close because he is very thorough with his data.

19. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tony can I get the spreadsheet or link to it.

20. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's in his sig under "current mileage" link