1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a hardwired inverter to a non-Prime (looking for advice)

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Hammersmith, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's getting warmer, so I'm getting closer to my big rewiring project. I'm half considering adding a hardwired inverter while I've got the dash torn apart. If I do it, I would make it look like a stock Prime 120V system. I'd get the OEM switch for the dash to turn it off and on, and I'd use the OEM 120V power outlets on the back of the center console and in the luggage compartment. Everything would just be wired to the aftermarket inverter rather than the HV battery charger like they are in the Prime.

Since I know a bunch of people on here have added inverters to their gen2-4 Priuses for camping and the like, I'm looking for advice on inverter brands/models, general wiring tips, and what the safe wattage ranges were on previous Prius HEVs.

I currently keep a little 175W inverter in my #hiddencompartment for the odd job, but a permanent installation would be nicer and cleaner.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think all the older Priuseses had 120W cabin inverters. That's certainly the right scale for doing it without real rewiring work, anyway.

I would want an inverter that had no switches or buttons on it, so I could trust it to sit hidden and make AC whenever it receives DC.

I recommend stranded line cord for AC distribution in mobile applications.

If you like the one you have now, I'd call it fair game for permanent installation.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which older Priuseses? I've never seen anything but the 120W DC (12 volt 10 amp) cigarette-style outlets.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure I read/saw descriptions of this as an option in 4th generation models.

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    If I were to run an inverter in my Prius as I've done in numerous other vehicles...
    I'd be keeping my 12V heavy leads as short as possible and mounting the actual inverter in the trunk with plugs there for 120V. Probably consider (depending on use) of adding a second battery since our little 375CCA batteries are so small.

Though that would require additional wiring, battery cradle etc and probably a relocation to a different spot using a sealed battery...

Maybe removing the center console under the armrest and seeing how much space is there. I've had an old 400W one that is almost 20 years old and is still ticking along. Doubt I'd want it in a sealed compartment though due to the fan and heat it can generate.

Just some food for thought and random babbling, take it for all you paid for.