1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a Homelink mirror to a #7

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeoffM, Sep 6, 2004.

1. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

My 2004 #7 is due in a couple of weeks and the only accessory I wanted that wasn't available with this package was the Homelink transmitter. I've seen other posts that mention availabilty of the monochromatic/Homelink mirror assembly, but what I haven't been able to find is a definitive answer on whether a #7 has the power connector for this mirror already installed.

Does anyone know for sure if installing the monochromatic mirror on a #7 is a simple process of replacing the old mirror, or will I need to do my own power wiring?

Thanks,

Geoff

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I have the #7 (AM) package and replaced my standard mirror with an auto-dimming/compass mirror from an '03 Camry (ebay). I used the instuctions for installing the homelink mirror here: http://www.vfaq.net/mods/ECMirror.html
    It was easier than the instructions look! I've been dismantling dashes since able to drive and installing my own stuff so it seemed to me to be pretty straightforward. I didn't take apart half of what these instructions say to, so don't be intimidated. Basically you mount the mirror on the existing windshield plate, run and tuck wires behind panels, then connect to power and ground under driver's dash. I love the compass and the auto-dimming. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius!

3. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the link to the install guide. More work than I had hoped, but certainly possible. My dealer know nothing about being able to install this on a #7, much less request it as a port-installed option. My car's not at the port yet, wonder if I could still request this?

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I'll bet not, but you could have them order the homelink mirror kit, print out the instructions and ask what it'd cost to have them install it, after the car and the kit come in. Or look up a competent Car Audio shop. It really is not a 'hard' job and the instructions show exactly where to find power. Good luck! Love my Prius! It is SO worth the wait.

5. smtrader

smtrader Member

finman...did your ebay mirror purchase one made by Gentex? That's the only auto-dimming mirror with compass I can find right now on ebay. Or was yours an OEM toyota mirror? Think this one would work? Thanks.

Brian

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    It was an actual '03 Camry mirror, but I want to say that Gentex makes alot of the dimming/compass/temp mirrors for the OEMs. I looked at the Gentex too. I was close to winning an auction with that one, but missed out, winning the Camry one instead. I believe the mount was the only question. The GM Gentex vs. the Ford vs. the import Gentex do have different mounts to the windshield. The Prius is a VERY standard 'import' mount. Hope that helps, good luck! Love my Prius!

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    compass mirror pics...

Here's pics of the install. I love having a compass in the mirror! The other doo-dad that is velcroed to the glass is my garage opener remote. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius! 8)

8. smtrader

smtrader Member

finman...the Gentex mirror I'm bidding on says a "simple 12V 2 wire hook up"...was yours a 2 wire hook up? Can you give me some tips about doing this? I'm praying that your tips are simplier than those on the www.vfaq...those look quite intimidating!! Thanks...

Brian

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Oh, yes, way easier! and yes mine was a 2-wire hookup. 2-wire 12 V hookup means ACC and ground. ACC means 12 V when u press the Power button. Ground is any chassis bolt or chassis metal. The instuctions you are looking at shows where to hook up ACC and ground under the driver's dash, as well as a constant 12 V (hot all the time, used for the homelink buttons so u can use them even with car off). You just need the ACC wire to turn the compass on/off with the car. Ground is just a nearby bolt that u loosen and attach the ground wire to. Send me the ebay link if u want, ask more specifics if u need, I'm glad to help. Love my Prius!

10. smtrader

smtrader Member

Thanks, finman! I understand what you mean about needing only the ACC and ground wires. Ok, questions:

1. Where were the most convenient places to connect both wires?
    2. How did you hide them from view? (No wires show in your pics, other than directly behind the mirror) I'd like to do this like your pics, so no wires are showing.

BTW, are there any "adjustments" for the compass? I've used car compasses before, and they're not always accurate. Can't wait to try this! :D

Thanks again...Brian

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: compass mirror pics...

OK, I'm confused. What is HomeLink used for if not to open the garage door?

12. smtrader

smtrader Member

finman didn't get a mirror with homelink, just one that has autodimming and compass. Personally, I'd prefer the compass over the homelink since I have a tiny garage remote and I have a motion sensor on my garage light so it turns on when I drive in anyway.

13. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    mirror

Exactly right, I do not have the Homelink. I have an 'aftermarket' dimming/compass mirror. I also have a small remote for my garage door that I've "installed" on the windshield glass using velcro.

1) Best place to attach ACC and ground is exactly where the instructions show: down under the driver's dash near the fuse box. It's really more 'in front of' the driver's dash, as the panel directly in front of your left knee is removed, then the ACC wire is the one described in the OEM Homelink instructions. It's the violet wire in pin 19. The instructions show a pic. Then the ground is attached in the same area to a 10MM bolt that has a bunch of other ground wires attached under it.

2) I used the 'tuck and cover' method. Using a small angled-like screw-driver (called a panel tool in the business), you slip it under plastic panels as you route the 2 wires from the headliner, down the A-pillar, to the ACC and ground area in lower dash area. I did not comepletely remove ALL panels depicted in the instructions. I'm practiced enough to 'cheat' and slip wires behind panels. If you're not comfortable with this, most all of Toyotas panels un snap and then snap back in place pretty easily. And then to calibrate, you drive around the block so the compass sees all 4 directions. I've found the compass to be very accurate, enough for me anyways. Cheap GPS I call it. Hope all this helps. Ask more qs if needed...

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, got it, thanks. If we ever cleaned the garage out enough to fit a car in, my wife's car would get the space anyway. We also have a motion detector based driveway light. When my AM or BC comes in, its HomeLink won't be much use.

15. smtrader

smtrader Member

finman....do you know if a 97 Toy Camry mirror will work the same as yours??

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Yes, I would think so. I can't imagine the mount would differ, it should be a standard import mount (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.) The wiring is similar for ANY dimming/compass mirror (ACC and ground). Hope this helps in getting your upgraded mirror.