1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by magruder, Mar 26, 2009.

1. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I am still unsure about which key I need to be looking for. If I have SKS, can I get a black emblem key and just program it for the ignition and opening doors with the buttons? I'm not worried about the smart key features, I just want a spare key. Or do I have to find a silver emblem remote? Also, my car is a 2004, will any year remote from 2004 forward work?

Thank you,
    Dave

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can program the black fob to work as a standard fob. The instructions are on PC somewhere.

Tom

3. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you,

I think I read that the keys are backwards compatible as well, so I think I can get any key that is from a 2004 forward.

Regards,
    Dave

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh boy! This is a real can of worms. About the only safe recommendation is to purchase a new keyfob and programming from a dealer. The list price for the SKS keyfob is about $182, and programming the car to accept it is another $100. It pays to shop - some people have gotten the programming thrown in for free, while others have paid from $30 to $150.

If you choke on $300 for just a key, then there are several options for less that sometimes, but not always, work.

The way to get a minimal function extra key is to get the cheapest one you can find on eBay. It doesn't matter whether it's black or silver logo. Something in the $30 to $50 range. Then program the car yourself to accept it inserted into the dash. Add a $2 mechanical key from anywhere that makes keys (it's an ordinary non-transponder Toyota key). Then you use the mechanical key to lock/unlock the door, and insert the keyfob into the dash to enable the Power button. Just assume that the remote/SKS functions aren't going to work.

If you want remote/SKS functions, then you'll have to get a keyfob that hasn't been used too many times (probably less than 128 on a black keyfob). Just about any used keyfob is going to violate this limit, and the attempt to program the car for it will fail. The precise technical description of why so many people have problems with used keyfobs is known only to a few people inside Toyota. There are successes, just enough to sucker the rest of us into trying. But generally a used keyfob will only work with the car it was originally paired with.

There are numerous threads about this that you can find with a search for "keyfob". This one has the do-it-yourself programming instructions that work for inserting the keyfob into the dash: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

5. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you,

It sounds like I will at least be able to get a used key to work for the ignition. Hopefully I can get the remote functions working. But the SKS functions definitely won't work. I appreciate your assistance!

Regards,
    Dave