1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a rear view camera?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by krausternet, Nov 4, 2011.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    (I have read some of the postings about adding a camera to Gen 3 Prius)

I am waiting for the 2012 Prius to arrive to buy my first Prius (and first new car since 1981) because I've read that the level 2 will have the large touch screen. But the level 2 won't have the rear view camera, which I've been told is very useful and safer.

Reading here on Priuschat it appears that there are lots of after market options for cameras. The camera is about the only thing that I really care about that would make me want to go to level 3 and if I install an after market camera I might consider staying at level 2 to save money.

A few questions:
    I thought the stock camera was mounted in that black plastic on the roof. Apparently after market cameras are mounted near the license plate. Is there already wiring in place to get from the camera to the display?

These after market cameras for this connect to the touch screen display, right? We are not talking about a separate little monitor clipped to the dash like you'd buy at costco? How do you connect to the display and what do you have to do to set the display to start using the camera?

2. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's what I read:

2012 Prius Mid-Cycle Refresh Official Details | PriusChat

"There’s big news for the 2012 Prius in the audio/infotainment area, with new standard systems for Prius Two, Three and Four models. The Prius Two, features a new Display Audio touch-screen system with a 6.1-inch screen. The AM/FM CD player unit offers MP3/WMA playback capability with six speakers, a USB port for iPod® connectivity, auxiliary input jack, Bluetooth® hands-free phone capability and audio streaming. The display also provides vehicle information and allows the driver to customize vehicle settings.The Prius Three adds navigation and Entune, plus an integrated backup camera display, SiriusXM Satellite Radio capability, HD RadioTM with iTunes® Tagging, advanced voice recognition and text-to-speech with programmed and customizable text responses. The Toyota Entune system is a collection of popular mobile applications and data services, with three years of complimentary access. Once a smart phone is connected to the vehicle using Bluetooth wireless technology or a USB cable, Entune’s features are operated using the vehicle’s controls or, for some services, by voice recognition. Entune offers mobile apps for BingTM, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable®, and Pandora®. Entune data services include a fuel price guide, sports scores, stocks, traffic and weather."

4. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, your link is newer and from Toyota, so I'm going to assume the info in your link is correct.

The factory camera is actually on the hatch, not the roof... pictures here...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...backup-camera-factory-install.html#post950537

And the aftermarket cameras people post links to usually are just the cameras. They just send the data, it could be to a headunit (radio or nav), a rearview mirror, or a clip on monitor.

It's the headunit of the car you have to worry about... I believe it's a new headunit (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it'll probably be some time before we know of any additional inputs in. I think it would be weird to have a screen and not be able to send input to it, but who knows, it might be made that way to force you to go to a 3 if you want a rear view?

tl;dr. I think you might have to wait to have your question answered, sorry. :( Best of luck!