1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a start button to a C2

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by garm, Apr 24, 2013.

1. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone added a Start button to a C2? Is the wiring harness waiting back there for a button?
    I'd like to do this "upgrade" if the car is willing.
    If there is an existing thread, just point me at it, a search was not fruitful.

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  3. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I read that -- not going that way, I want that Toyota start button in its correct position.

Worst case, I could make the button do something else. LOL

4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    make it happen and let us know ;)

There was one on ebay and someone bought it... was it you? ;)

5. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ No not me. I know you can order them from the dealership. I have a "custom" one coming from Japan. I might poke around in there and see if there is a stashed wiring harness like they do with the foglights.

6. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to have the button in that spot. Would use it to do something else though. Don't need it to start the engine since the key will do it and I have to put it in anyway. Just do not like that round indentation i my dash.
    Dan

7. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would also like to have another switch to fit left of steering wheel on dash. I got one with my fog lights and filled one hole. Need one more to remove the plug and install.
    Dan

8. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius OEM Start Button can be used on the Aftermarked Advancekeys system, they confirmed it even on their website, since they design it according to Toyota / Lexus Start button.. I write that on the keyless entry page linked above.

I'm planning to do that around summer (first the Navi)

9. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    To do the factory start and stop feature will be impossible and cost more than trading your car for a C3, I have all the diagrams and it require 2 additional computer unit and additional wire sensor, missing wire in the main harness , door, which you will not have in C2/C1, then additional touch sensor for all door and a new steering wheel lock module, new plastic piece, and a new LAN communication wire harness in additional to programming need to be done in the ECM to support, missing transponder key amplifier, transponder key wiring, and transponder key ECU, that which I am not sure if it is possible, even if you buy all the parts from a totaled prius. If you want 100% OEM from Toyota, better just trade in and buy a C3 otherwise the above post aftermarket version with factory switch will be the only option. But for $1500 more for C3, you mind as well get that.

In summary, THERE IS NO WIRE Harness behind the dash to support any part for Keyless Startstop function from a C3 to a C2.

Yes you can buy the switch and put in there since it is a dummy plug but there is no wire on there to do anything.

10. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to know there is no harness. I could wire it to do just the same thing as the key in the final position (starting the car). Or as I said, it could do something else.

In summary, I never said anything about keyless function. o_O

11. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you use a momentary start button, all you would have to do is connect it to the wires at the key "start". So you would have to put the key in, move it to the "on" position (or whatever is just before "start"), then push the button. To turn off the car you would have to turn the key off.

I'm not so sure you can get a push button to turn the car off as it would still have connection with the key.

12. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone seen the button for sale? Also, does anyone know where I can get another switch to fit the holes to left of steering wheel?
    Dan

13. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    there are many buttons on ebay from the regular prius, or you can get aftermarket ones from TRD/TOMS/etc

ive seen prius c ones pop up once in awhile. but not that often.

14. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Be sure to buy the 2010-2012 ones:
    • The 2010-2012 have two rows of pins.
    10-12 Start Button.JPG
    • The 2004-2009 have single row of pins.
    04-09 Start Button.JPG

15. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Where do yall see them, ebay? I just dont like that big indentation in my dash and want to fill it. I might be able to buy the little rocker for the left side of wheel at the dealer.
    Dan

16. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, found the start engine button. Now I am still looking for the push in switch for the left side of steering wheel. I have the fog light switch in one hole and would like to find a matching switch for the other hole.
    Dan