1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adding a subwoofer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sidelack, Mar 3, 2007.

1. sidelack

sidelack New Member

I just bought a 2007 prius pk#5 (9 jbl speakers/nav) and would like to add a small single sub (jl audio). My main question is where do you connect the output from the stereo. I assume that there are not rca's on the back of the factory unit. If the jbl amp in under the front passanger seat, possable tapping off it's inputs?
    also, the turn-on lead. One good thing is the battery in already in the trunk!! :) Thanks !

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me Too! I read in earlier threads about this topic, but what is the latest? :huh:

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my 2005 the line-level out of the head unit is constant level and the volume control is in the amp. I believe it's the same in a 2007. You'll have to tap into the speaker level outputs under the driver's seat and run them into a line-out converter.

Oh yeah, I hate to tell you this, but Bazooka made this harness perfect for tapping into the JBL Prius wiring harness w/o cutting any wires and bringing front speaker and power-on signals to the back for a sub, but the harness doesn't fit 2007s. They changed the wiring and connectors.

Attached Files:

4. sidelack

sidelack New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Mar 3 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]399642[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I did some more seaching and found that out too. :( (I have been installing audio equipment for a while, so I really don't mind splicing and resoldering if I have to. I'll just have to figure out the wire coding) What JL speaker are you using? I was going to go with there 8w7, but required too much power/space. So, I have been considering there 8w3. Is that what you are running? If so, are you happy with it?
    thanks, jim

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sidelack @ Mar 3 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]399676[/snapback]</div>
    It is an 8W3, and it's fine for listening to music, but lousy at disturbing the neighbors and other motorists. But I wasn't willing to sacrifice any more space in order to do the latter. :p

6. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Mar 3 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]399684[/snapback]</div>

:mellow: P/E, could you recommend a Sub that could be contained in the compartment under the cargo area? I'm not after the canon sound, just the bass to be more "felt"!

Thanks,

Lee

7. sidelack

sidelack New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 4 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]399902[/snapback]</div>
    I am building a enclosure that will fit where the storage compartment located in the trunck area rt (driver's side). It will be just about .4 cubic feet. I'll load it with a JL audio 8w3v2 (wired at 4 ohms). I believe that is the best "mini" sub that will produce enought bass to fill the car. I have an older rockford fosgate 360a amp I'll use to run it. (maybe a little over kill on power, but I already have the amp). Should be a very stealth installation, leaving the entire trunk free and nothing to block the back seats from folding down.

Just changed out my stock jbl front tweeters with a pair of MB quart "Q" series today. That made a hugh differance. I'm sure a small sub will be an even bigger improvement.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    JL Audio has a new 12" shallow-mount sub that only requires a 0.7 cubic foot enclosure. This might be suitable for building an enclosure onto the back of the cargo area floor. I wouldn't recommend the all-in-one modules from Infinity or Clarion unless you accustomed to listening to crap.

9. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Mar 3 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]399642[/snapback]</div>

Ack! I'll have to keep an eye on this. I want a Bazooka. :)

This article http://www.laaudiofile.com/bta6100.html Makes it sound easy and worth it.

10. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ Mar 6 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]401253[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. I have since learned that there are a crowd of people who don't really like the bazooka. Apparently the enclosed amp tends to overheat and the speaker has been known to get blown out.

I'm looking into a solution that is somewhere between those of you who replace every speaker and amp and a drop in solution. Right now I'm looking into a removable subwoofer with a semipermanent amp to go with it.

Currently looking at:

JL Audio 10" W3 or W1 in an enclosure kinda like this.

Doing it this way requires an addtional amp, so the obvious answer is a JLAudio 250/1 but it doesn't have a remote (to turn down the subwoofer while I'm listening to NPR or AM traffic reports or sports). So I'm moving towards the A Series and the A1200 or A1400

Help! I'm drowning! :unsure:

The A1200 is a "Class A/B Monoblock Full-Range Amplifier"
    The A1400 is a "Class D Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifier"

So the A1400 seems to be the right choice...

Remember, I'm just talking about adding some depth and fullness to the existing JBL system. Not replaceing all the speakers, etc.

Oh, and do any of you in the South Bay area (Cupertino) have suggestions on installers or dealers? I probably could do it myself, but the installation cost is not the big part of the price tag...

11. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nothing, eh? :unsure:

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ Apr 14 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]423407[/snapback]</div>
    If you were closer to Fairfield I would recommend my old shop that I worked at for 10yrs. They are a tiny shop but carry mid-high end equipment and the same 2 guys have been there since 1988. They carry JL as well. Audio & Performance Systems 707-422-2771

The Diamond Audio economy amplifiers work really well and do not cost too much and they offer a bass control knob you can mount up front like the JL amps. I went a bit overboard and used the D6 1500.1 amp and two 12w3v3 subs. I'm not going to bother going bigger since our cars are rattle cans once you add too much bass.

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bazooka is a good choice for something that's fairly easy to install, but it's only decent if you don't know what a real subwoofer sounds like. For good bass reproduction, there's no subsitute for a seperate amp and sub.

14. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. I'm going with the JLAudio A1200 and a single 10" W3.

I should be getting it done in the next week.

B)

15. n8addyprius

n8addyprius New Member

i have two audiosonic 10" and a 500 W audisonic amp which i had in my tahoe, i dont really want to install the head unit, do you guys think that i would be able to tap into it with the bazooka harness? I have an 06' Pkg 2, but like every one else i just want a little extra bump in the trunk. or if anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know. i am going to mount the amp on the back of the speaker box and place quick connect fastners onto the amp so that i will be able to remove it fairly easy when i need the space. thank in advance for the info.

16. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ May 13 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]441485[/snapback]</div>
    BTW- I did get this done and it is sweet. Possibly more bass than I needed, but that is why I went with the A1200 amp and it's remote knob. The know is installed next to the dash light dimmer and I still have room for an EV switch.

The enclosure fits nicely under the tonneau cover :)

I'll get pictures soon.

17. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Cant wait to see the pictures!

18. klagreca

klagreca New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Okay, I just picked up my new Prius! And a 8" Bazooka Tube. Now I'm going to have some fun this weekend.

From what I gather from various sites/posts, I can tap a rear door speaker for signal, correct? Does anyone have any photos or instructions on how to take apart the door and run the wire to the trunk area?

Also, I'll be taping the battery in the trunk for power. Is that it? Do I need to run a signal cable from the stock stereo? Do I need any special wiring harnesses for the Bazooka Tube (discussed on SASBazooka.com)?

Okay, thanks folks! Loving my Prius. Not even broken in and I'm hitting 53 mpg.

Peace,
    Kris

19. seaside2007

seaside2007 New Member

I am adding a sub enclosure to my Package 4 later this week and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Since the vehicle is different (obviously lol), is there any concern I should have running an amp? That is, since the ICE shuts off periodically, will the charging system (alternator) be able to keep up? Not looking to go anything crazy (maybe 150 RMS to two 8" subs, coming from a Rockford 550.2), but I want to make sure I don't over-tax the limited electrical systems.

2) Has anyone else experienced a significant amount of rattle from the rear doors with the JBL system? While I must admit it's not the best "premium" stereo out there, I find this particularly maddening. If it's just mine, I'll have my service department rip it open and solidify (I work for a Toyota dealer =)... if it's not just me, I guess I'm going to have to dynamat the doors (kinda want to anyway, but it's such a pain).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

20. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seaside2007 @ Jul 28 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]486807[/snapback]</div>
    I heard a rattle that I couldn't find untill I went outside the car. It turned out to be the licence plate! Since there are only two top screws holding it down the bottom of the plate was rattleing. After putting a foam shim behind the plate to bring it away from the paint a bit - no more rattle.