1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding amp(s) won't hurt or void warranty of 2008 Prius?....Or?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DT's_2008_Touring, Apr 12, 2008.

1. DT's_2008_Touring

DT's_2008_Touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went to Al & Ed's in Costa Mesa, CA, and was told that amps can not be added to the Prius because it has 13 alternators that work to charge the system, and anything else drawing a tangible amount of power will create problems and/or damage the system. He said the "holy install bible" (he called it by a name with 3 initials, but I can't recall) indicated an amp up to 200w can safely be included, but no more.

Anyone know the "for sure" answer? I've called a dealership but they didn't seem to know too much.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the speakers and add an amp and small subwoofer+amp to get good sound from the stereo. Amps would probably be around 200w rms for the speakers, and whatever is normal for a 10" sub.

Thanks,

Darin

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Haha... Skip over Al & Ed's, they have no clue what they are talking about. The Prius has a far better power system than most vehicles with an alternator. There's several people here running ~1000 watts with no problems.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Presto said, I have not had any problems but I cannot say for sure that I am not wearing any components out prematurely. I run a 1500w continuous power D-class sub amp and will be switching my two D9 Diamond Audio 10s to a single Orion HCCA 12.2 sub. :)

[​IMG]

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should go back and ask them to point out all 13 alternators. Tell them you could only find 10 of them. :der:

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another vote for, "they're idiots."

13 alternators? Wow, that would be a lot of redundancy and drag. Wonder where and when they pulled that number out of their... uh... air.

6. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lol @ the responses! And yes, I have seen some of the set-ups you guys have posted....awesome.

If the "Installation Bureau of America" or whatever it's called did in fact indicate that installing amps is not appropriate for the Prius, perhaps it's because they simply don't know all the parameters and it's too much work to detail. Who knows.

Now I've seen that some have apparently added a new deck to bottom of the existing unit, this is something I may want to consider.

I'm not a complete audiophile, but I definitely love being infused with an abundance of quality sound while driving. I also really need to do it the *right* way, and absolutely hate wanting to change the design after.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It works great for me unless my buddy with overly long legs is in the passenger seat. In cases like this a remote control comes in handy. :cool:

8. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any particular deck you'd recommend? I'm not really concerned about the price, but more about good design/fit/features in my 2008 Prius. Oh, and it would seem you can simply take out the existing player with the 6 CD thing, but would imagine it'll leave a gap on the bottom, which I'd like to avoid.

It's looking like I'll be replacing the speakers in front and rear...thinking of Focal or JL. Not totally sure of which model.

Last but not least, a single 10" sub in the rear. Alpine makes a powered subwoofer (PLT-5), but I can't help but think the single 10" JL with a separate amp would be preferable.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nearly any single-DIN name brand stereo will fit in there just fine. I chose the Kenwood eXcelon series because bang for buck they were quite nice. If installed by an authorized dealer you get a 2yr warranty. They have great sound quality, nice features (like EQs and crossovers, USB, iPod , 24-bit DAC, etc), look good, and are easy to use. I recently upgraded to the newer KDC-X792 and had to slightly modify the opening to allow the faceplate to open but it was a simple procedure.

The LINK to my original deck install

If you are not looking to go all out then I would look into the eXclelon KDC-X592. It's a slick looking unit and fairly inexpensive.
    [​IMG]

If money is no object then the KDC-X991. Sound quality is up there with the Eclipse units but these have nicer features.

For the front stage I would suggest taking a bunch of music wth you and listening A LOT! I am not real fond of the JL Audio mids even though I sell them. I used to love the Diamond Audio mids but I am not sure of their quality since the change of ownership. Focal has always been a nice sounding speaker. So listen to a bunch of different sets and let your ear make the choice.

For the sub. I'd go with a seperate system. Choose a nice high-powered sub and matching amp. Half the music I listen to does not have a lot of bass EQ'd into it so a low powered sub would not work well and I'd likely over drive it trying to get any decent punch. If you have the cash I'd look into something like a JL Audio 10w6v2. I'm actually going to be selling my Diamond Audio 10D9s in seperate little boxes if you are interested. The are now called Hex Pro. They were expensive little bastards. lol

10. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. I've been basically spending the whole night going over every single page of posts, gleaning whatever information I can.

I listen to a good bit of classical and music from bands like Radiohead, REM, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, old stuff from Boston, Rush, etc., etc. Although I like certain rap and hip hop songs, I don't really play them much. I'm not into sharing my music with the neighborhood, but love to be drenched in it when I'm out and about.

Oh, do the doors need to be "Dynamatted"?

Funny you should mention the JL Audio 10w6v2, as that's the sub I picked out if I am going to do a single 10" with separate amp.