1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding Amplifier to '06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeoGeek, Mar 7, 2006.

1. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can anyone who has installed an amplifier in an '06 Prius (no nav/no JBL)
    recommend a line level adapter and wiring harness adapter that will work with the
    factory head unit?
    I've seen several wiring harness adapters on-line, but none that specify that they work in an '06 Prius. I'd like to avoid cutting into the factory wire harness....
    I will also be installing a SiriusPrius kit...don't know if that effects how I should go about tapping into the signal.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Have you checked

www.crutchfield.com

I too would like to know of somthing for my 04 Im waiting for the wife to blow speakers...

3. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

4. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

5. sb_in_nc

sb_in_nc New Member

GeoGeek,

I too have the non-JPL 2006 and am interested in adding an amp. Where are you going to put the amp?

It seems the NE-774V doesn't really provide a wiring harness, no? Still I guess it could be helpful.

Let me know as you make progress, I am hoping to start something next month.

6. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I have used the Navone in the past, but it does mess with the bass a bit. See

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/navoneloc/

Right now I'm trying out running without a LOC, and it actually seems to work out okay. I'm just sending the rear speaker channel from the JBL amp right into my Alpine H700 processor. The processor has enough hiss noise that I don't get any extra noise from this connection... YMMV.

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ended up ordering a Scosche SLC-4 from Crutchfield....before I read about the NE-774V (which I would have ordered instead...live & learn).
    Anyway, I plan to use the SLC-4, but I still need some kind of "Y" or "T" connector
    that will allow me to tap into the factory head unit wiring harness without cutting
    anything...so anyone who know's of such a thing please speak (or post) up.

Thanks!

8. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    sb_in_nc,
    I have an Xtant 3300c amplifier which I am planning on installing in the front part
    of the storage compartment under the floor of the cargo area....the amp has built-in fan cooling....and others (here on PriusChat) have reported no heat issues with that mounting location. I've already upgraded the front speakers with a Diamond Audio component set...plan on doing something with the rear door speakers as well...and, of course, a sub or two will come in time....I like what others have done with the cubby holes on either side in the cargo area.
    When I get it all done I'll be sure to post some pictures.
    Cheers!