1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding an amp in the back: place to ground, 12v on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by garypear, Apr 5, 2005.

1. garypear

garypear New Member

I'll be adding an 800w amp in the back hatch storage compartment. The amp has a fan so it shouldn't get too hot under there?

Would like to know if anyone has had success finding a good location to ground the amp back there - ideally within 18" of the amp and must be a place to screw in to bare metal. Also, any tips on preventing rust if in fact a new hole needs to be drilled? I think I read spreading silicon or something?

Also, I've been informed by someone on a car audio site that the PAC-OEM2's generation of an amp 12-v on (pursuant to it sensing audio present on any speaker wire) may or may not work.

In case it doesn't, does anyone know a switched 12v source in the back and if not, what's the consensus on the best one to use overall? Still pin 3 (power - acc on) on back of the radio (but not pin 4 which is just "power" - and not switched?)

http://priuschat.com/forums/adding-an-amp-...html?highlight=

2. charliep

charliep Junior Member

There are a few unpainted areas were a bolt is attached. I grounded my Bazooka woofer there.