1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding an Amplifier

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rick Grahn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I installed the ultimate lockpick from coastaletech...great device. I also installed a DVD player in the front storage compartment under the factory radio. I used the sound isolator that coastaletech sells (although I had to take it apart and rebuild to get it to work).

My problem is that now that all of the add-on audio sources (from the XM sat and DVD player) are quieter than before I installed the lockpick/DVD player. I am not an audio techie, but it is frustrating to have to turn the volume of the DVD or sat radio up to 40-55 at highway speeds in order to hear the sound adequately (no I am not deaf). For example, I now need to turn the volume level to "45" for the same (subjective) sound level I used to get at about "30."

Would an amplifier help?

If so, which type and is it something I could install (I've put in this other stuff myself - not an expert, but I get by)?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An amplifier will obviously help but you can also do a cheap mod to boost the signal between your source and the Lockpick input. The one I used is a simple 2 A battery operated device you plug inline to the Lockpick and switch it on or off. Its a bit inconvienent but it helps till I can figure out my charging system (my 12v battery is constantly dead now) and add my main amplifier.

They sell the line boosters at Best Buy near the portable DVD players for about $20-$30.

3. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 14 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]319508[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the idea. I went to Best Buy and could not find what you are referring to. I checked with the head of the auto install department and he said there was no such thing. Of course I believe you rather than him, since you have one!!

Can you give me any more specifics (item number, actual name of the manufacturer/product, web page???

Sorry to bother you.