1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding External Navigation System...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by eck34, Mar 12, 2005.

1. eck34

eck34 New Member

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 2002 Prius. I did not get the factory installed Navigation system. However, the car does have the controls for a navigation system. Is there any way I can utiliize the cars factory controlls to operate an aftermarket Navigation system? I thought there should be. I am very knowledgable with vehicle electronic systems, just not very familiar with Prius'...yet! Please help if anyone can! Thanks ALOT!!

2. xevious

xevious New Member

I'm not sure what an alot is, but I can tell you that there is no easy way to make use of the existing navigation controls unless you intend to add a Toyota navigation system to your 2002.

This can be done - search the Yahoo! groups for more information - but is prohibitively expensive and involves taking your entire dash apart in order to properly locate the GPS antenna.

The buttons on your dash are connected to the multi-information display, which translates all commands to binary traffic on the AVC-LAN (IEBUS) network. A few have hacked it with various results. For the best after-market product, see Coastal Etech's page:

http://www.coastaletech.com

Enjoy your Prius!