1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding GPS after the fact

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by awallrising, Oct 21, 2008.

1. awallrising

awallrising New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006 Prius (Pkg #5) & am looking to add a GPS. Kicking myself for not getting the pkg with the GPS.

Does anyone have any experience going back to the dealer & having one added? Or what about a handheld GPS? I see on old posts that the Garmin 3600 is a good solution, but that model is discontinued. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really don't need any other bells & whistles with it (unless it enhances the GPS performance), just the GPS.

Thanks!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a good portable device. It would be cost prohibitive to try to add the NAV to a non-NAV package.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have a Garmin 360. It works great and hides in my secret drawer with it's charging cable when not in use.

JeffD

4. beckerman

beckerman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Buy a Garmin Nuvi 300 series for $250 on sale online and be glad you are not stuck w/ Toyota's lousy, counterintuitive nav system.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    someone here did get the actual prius gps here, for less then $800??? i dont remember, but this was the earlier model, and not the 2004-2009 series.

if you get traffic ---
    dont get a msdn traffic receiver, they are lousy. stick to something like rds/tmc (clearchannel), tom tom traffic, dash express, etc

best advice - hang on to your 2006 and trade it in for a 2010, it will have a newer navi unit
    and you will probably feel screwed by sticking with wanting a 2004-2009 navi

6. beckerman

beckerman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was forced to buy the lousy Toyota nav system as I wanted [p]leather seats.

7. awallrising

awallrising New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the info...think one of the Garmin's are the way to go.

8. SCfromSC

SCfromSC I take my gas in a sippy cup

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I bought my first GPS unit not long ago right before we bought the Prius. I looked at a lot of different units and decided to go against the norm and went for a Navigon 5100. I bought it because it had traffic alerts for free for the life of the unit. As for the functioning of the unit itself, it seems to be doing fine though it does tend to not like the side roads I often favor, guess that's a good thing now that I have a new car.:)