1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding HIDs to 06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jakthebomb, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jakthebomb

jakthebomb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, This is just to bounce the idea around to see what you guys think. My old Acura TL 99 had stock HIDs in it. The Kelven was 4,300k. I know the 2006 Prius had a HID option. Mine doesn't have that option installed. If I were to install a 4,300k kit would you guys think this would be a problem?

I have looked at the differences between Halogen Lamp Assemblies and HID Lamp Assemblies and saw there were no differences. I know how to adjust the aim of the beam to ensure it is within the tolerances.

After driving for a year with HIDs it is very difficult to drive a car without it. I keep thinking my lights are off half the time. This is one of those musts for me.

If adding a kit is Illegal, what if I were to buy all of the OE Parts from Toyota and convert the Head Lamps myself. I just can't see how it would be any different.

People are stating that it is only Legal if the car came like that. They never show sources of how it is illegal. As long as the Light is in line of what the normal HID option that came from Toyota how is it any different?

Thanks for all of the input!

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is a slight difference in assemblies…With the HID one, there is a High beam "lever" that moves back and forth from dim to bright when the driver moves the lever for bright/dim lights…i believe the halogen assembly does have that because the halogen bulb had 2 filaments in it, whereas the HID bulb does not. So to convert properly, you would have to have the corresponding power requirements and the assemblies …then the actual bulbs...

3. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are also going to be differences in the reflector, visible to an untrained eye or not.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The HID's do have a leveling system. This is nothing to do with altering the brightness neither does the dimmer switch with halogen headlamps. The leveler is worked off a sensor on the rear suspension that lowers the aim of the headlamps if a load is being carried in the rear of the car causing the normal headlamp aim to be higher and compensating for this automatically.
    There are conversion kits that work well, by changing the bulbs and adding the required power supplies, but may or may not be illegal in your country/state.

John (Britprius)

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Illegal" has two steps in the US.

It is illegal for any vendor to offer HIDs in a vehicle not originally equipped with them. (this is why there are no big name HID kits, no one can build a sustainable business, they will be shut down by the NHTSA) If you use ALL the parts in a stock Prius with HIDs, you could sell that kit legally.
    Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

Second part of illegal is actually driving on US Highways. (This is why so many kits claim to be for off road use only)
    That is state law and will vary by state. You do not mention what state you are in.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Would this also apply if say Toyota offered a retro fit kit supplying all the parts fitted to the versions of the Prius with HID's
    This is not meant to be flippant, but the law seems to say that unless they were fitted at the factory there is no legal way "even using OEM parts" they can be fitted. This of course by definition rule out the fitting of projector HID's within the headlamp units.
    In the UK governed by EU regulations HID's can be retro fitted or any type of light unit provided they have the relevant EC markings, and with any required additional equipment.

John (Britprius)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    FMVSS 108 is a complex document. I read it that there are headlight assemblys A through H and each has it's own conforming bulb. You can not use a bulb from one headlight assembly in another. My understanding is that if you use ALL the original parts, then the bulb conforms to the assembly it is in and is legal. I may have missed some other spec in 108.

FMVSS No. 108 Full Text

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Having scanned through the above text I can see on at leased four counts in the US the modification of headlamps by fitting projectors within the housings is illegal or by fitting of the wrong type of bulbs, but changing out the headlamps as far as I can tell to different ones "provided they are correctly marked by the manufacturer on the outside lens (cover)" is not. As you correctly state this is a complicated document not made any more easy by being written in legalistic gibberish.

John (Britprius)

9. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

You probably could trade your car and buy another Prius with HID's for less money than buying Toyota parts to do the upgrade.

10. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That Daniel Stern link above does a great job of explaining why HID conversion kits are a bad idea. Converting with all the factory parts would work, but would be quite difficult I imagine.