1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adding mp3 to basic prius 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusbasic2007, Jan 9, 2007.

1. priusbasic2007

priusbasic2007 New Member

I just got a basic package prius. I didnt get any package with the idea that those jingles are not worth the cost for something that a car need not do, and besides they can later be added. I still stick to this. And now I wish to add (modify) my basic prius to play CD's that have mp3 format songs. How do i do this? Can someone help me please.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The stock deck will never be able to handle MP3s. You will either need to replace it (expensive) or just get an AUX box or an iPod specific interface to hook up an external player.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jan 10 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]373554[/snapback]</div>
    I thought 06's and up had an aux input already, that would allow use of an MP3 player. Still no convenient way to play MP3 CDs though.

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 10 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]373557[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, but not the base packages. Of course the 2004-2005 (and the Classics) don't have them either.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through this thought process, too...my conclusion was the same, that if there's no AUX input and the deck itself can't read MP3 encoded discs, there aren't many other options

Hmmmm, wondering, will one of those gizmos that let you plug your iPod into the car radio do the trick? I don't remember how exactly it works, I think you tune to an unused radio station and the radio picks up the signal...or does it plug into the cassette deck? I can't remember...?

This is the only other recourse I can think of.

It's called "iTravel" or something like that.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jan 10 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]373665[/snapback]</div>
    I added an aux box to our '05 (single CD base stereo) to use an MP3 player. That would be an option.

7. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

If you have or want an iPod, the VAIS and DICE units might interest you. The VAIS also includes Aux-IN, don't know about the DICE. I don't use the Aux from my VAIS as I have one from my 06 anyway, but the iPod interface is really nice.