1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding Rear Seat Audio Module from a Sienna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Feb 22, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I managed to get ahold of a Rear Seat Audio (RSA) module from a Sienna. This unit has an overhead console, LCD display, and using the remote, the back seat passenger can select their own Audio Source and can change stations or tracks. I believe the broadcasting for the IR headphones is located here as well.

I'll let you know how well this works with my package BC. If all goes well, I will mount this in the center of the ceiling just like the Sienna.

Nate

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a very involved addition. Going to use Sienna wiring? Make it stand alone?

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, you ready? Follow along:

1. Sienna uses an RSA module that connects to the AVC-LAN (easy to wire to the Prius) and an RSR+, RSR-, RSL+, RSL-, and SLD pins that connect to the Sienna head unit.
    2. I don't have a Sienna head unit, BUT: The Land Cruiser uses a MultiDisplay that is very similar to the Prius...
    3. The Land Cruiser also supports an RSA unit that has all the same pin identification labels as the Sienna.
    4. The Land Cruiser uses pins 14-18 on connector R38 for RSR+, RSR-, RSL+, RSL-, and SLD.
    5. Connector R38 in the Land Cruiser EWD is the same connector as R5 in the Prius EWD.
    6. Pins 14-18 are suspiciously empty on connector R5 of the Prius Radio.
    7. Conclusion: I suspect that plugging in the Sienna RSA unit into the Prius Head Unit will work flawlessly if I follow the Land Cruiser wiring.

If this doesn't work, I'll likely put the item back up on ebay.

By the way, anybody have a DVD player out of a Land Cruiser? I bet it will work in the Prius...

Nate

4. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

That is cool I think it could work Let us know Send pictures.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I would wonder about the device IDs on AVC. If the Sienna device worked autonimously, fine. But if controls are expected from MFD or header, they may not know what to do with the Sienna device.
    This is why there is so much trouble with audio/video/IPod addons. They steal either the CD changer ID, or the satellite ID.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Dan, device ID's aren't the problem; it's developers lack of understanding of how to use them. Here are all the device ID's that the Prius' AVC-LAN supports.

From the 2004 Prius Repair Manual:

110 EMV
    120 AVX
    128 1DIN TV
    140 AVN
    144 G–BOOK
    178 NAVI
    17C MONET
    190 AUDIO H/U
    1AC CAMERA–C
    1B0 Rr–TV
    1C0 Rr–CONT
    1C2 TV–TUNER2
    1C2 PANEL
    1C6 G/W
    1C8 FM–M–LCD
    1D8 CONT–SW
    1EC Body
    1F0 RADIO TUNER
    1F1 XM
    1F2 SIRIUS
    230 TV–TUNER
    240 CD–CH2
    250 DVD–CH
    280 CAMERA
    360 CD–CH1
    3A0 MD–CH
    17D TEL
    440 DSP–AMP
    530 ETC
    5C8 MAYDAY
    1A0 DVD–P
    1D6 CLOCK
    1F4 RSA
    1F6 RSE
    480 AMP

I expect the device will identify 1F4 (RSA) on the AVC-LAN and work perfectly.

You can see that it would make more sense for developers to use DVD-CH for DVD or CAMERA for Backup Camera; or CD-CH2 for the Ipod. I don't know why they don't.

(Coastal Dave, are you reading this?)

Nate

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It is not guaranteed that all ID's would be recognized in all markets, and even if it is recognized, may not utilize it the way an aftermarket device would need to.

As for CD-CH1 and CD-CH2, I believe they have been using these. Have you considered CD-CH1 is built-in CD, and CD-CH2 is external changer?

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, I think that's what it would look like if someone hooked up both the internal and external changer. However, the ipod2car doesn't work correctly; my guess is that it doesn't identify as CD-CH2 which is why it conflicts with Prii that have the built in changer.

We do know that the CAMERA input works on the Prius. I'll soon report back on the RSA module.

Nate

9. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    So what happened? Did it work?

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here are the details:

-The module identified on the AVC-LAN.
    -The module displayed all the correct information for each mode (station id, track number, etc).
    -XM did not come up at all (in the rear). It was like it wasn't hooked up. Still worked in the front.
    -The touchscreen now displayed a new button, "Rear Off". I could use it to turn off the RSA unit.
    -The remote changed stations (or tracks) on the rear (and the front)

The problem? NO SOUND came out of the headphone jacks, just some static. I was hoping to obtain a base model radio (I have JBL) for some more testing. The issue is that the head unit is expected to transmit audio to the rear. I hooked these wires up the same way the Land Cruiser has it wired in, but there was still no sound. I am somewhat optimistic that I simply don't have the MUTE circuit wired in correctly, and the rear was being muted because of that. I haven't had much more time to work on this, I am waiting to get a base model radio to play with.

Anybody got one for sale?

I have two of these RSA units. If someone wants to buy one, let me know. I only have one remote, though, you'll have to get one off of ebay or something.

Nate