1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding second MG2 for increased EV performance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by miscrms, Aug 16, 2012.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, I realize this is probably far from practical or economical, but looking at the various transaxle tear downs it seems like it could almost be possible. The idea would be to basically bolt a second MG2 on the end of the existing MG2 to provide more electric drive torque during acceleration and high speed drive. Assuming this would require a second inverter to avoid a current bottleneck driving the motors. Might need a second HVECU as well to run the second inverter, unless you could run both inverters on the CAN bus at the same time without it freaking out. A second battery and/or PHEV battery would also likely be required to meet the current demands of the second inverter, but not sure it would make sense to do this without a PHEV battery. As if it would really make sense anyway ;)

Anybody ever thought about it? Sounds crazy, but could address some of the challenges to getting max EV usage out of a PHEV Prius, not to mention provide a performance enhancement.

Been debating for years whether to do a full BEV conversion on a small car (insight maybe?) for commuting and autocrossing, or just do a PHEV conversion on a Prius. Things are tilted heavily toward the PHEV since we bought two Priuses a few years back when we had kids and needed back seats, but can't quite shake the EV autocross bug ;) Don't want to do anything to the Prius that would degrade gas mileage, but enhancing electric performance would be pretty cool :)

Rob

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    seems to me motors/generators on the rear wheels would be an easier mod. 4x4 traction + 2x regeneration. i think the highlander hybrid had electric rear drive.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't imagine adding that kind of power to a transmission would do anything other than immediately destroy the transmission... Maybe if you built a more heavy duty transmission from scratch? I think 69shovlhed is offering a better idea. Pretty soon for $3K you'll be able to do just that thanks to this dude: fxn.ws/MUnALw

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MG2 already has 50 kW and the battery provides only 25 kW (or even less?), the other 25 kW are provided from ICE thru MG1. At least in theory, the power is not split 50:50 at all speeds.

Theoretical there is no reason a normal Prius with more powerful (bigger) battery (inverter?) could provide 50 kW of pure EV power with MG2 that is already in the car, but when ICE would come on you would have to limit that power.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    60 kW is the max electric traction output available from the +2010 models.

27 kW is pulled from the regular model's NiMH battery-pack.

38 kW is pulled from the PHV model's Li-Ion battery-pack when plug-supplied electricity is available.

Additional kW is supplied from the generator by the engine when more power is needed.

So, there is unused potential which could be tapped into with a more powerful battery-pack. Of course, we've always known Toyota builds for the future. The EV button hinted at that. PHV provided proof. More can still be delivered.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rob, you know anything is possible when you have enough money. I've always asked (myself) this question. Why not put a more robust motor on the Prius in place of MG2? People always put bigger engines in cars, why not a bigger MG2. MG2 is a relatively weak motor (good for the Prius design but not good for power requirements by itself). It seems to me a more robust MG2 makes sense as a mod but, at the same time, I'm certain this would require mods to everything else (HVECU etc).

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I prefer the approach of putting a motor and differential on the rear axle assembly as is done on the AWD Highlander Hybrid. This adds more EV capability, acceleration, as well as better traction. It is also easier to accomplish, but requires additional battery capacity and another motor controller.

JeffD

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks all for the comments. A few more thoughts:

- Should have clarified, my interest is mostly in the Gen 2, but I imagine much is similar Gen2/3.

- The idea of adding electric drive on the rear wheels has been around for decades, not sure its ever been demonstrated to work well. In theory it does create AWD, but without a sophisticated controller to allocate power between the four wheels its unlikely to provide any of the traction benefits of actual AWD. Hub motors have been teased for a long time, but practically it seems like you'd have to add another transaxle in the the back. This would be much more feasible in a vehicle like a RAV4 that you can get as FWD but source parts from the rear end of an AWD model. Spent some time thinking about doing exactly that to RAV4 back before we bought the first Prius.

- Transmission failure is always an option when increasing power, but I'm not sure its a big concern in this case. MG2 is I believe on the output shaft after the PSD. That should be the beefiest part of the transaxle. It should be able to handle the full output of the ICE and MG2 with plenty of margin. While the output of MG2 is touted as "295 ft-lb" in practice I believe its much lower. ORNL verified the motor can put out 400NM at 0 rpm as advertised, but it takes ~250A to get there. I don't believe the battery/inverter ever puts out nearly that much, most I've ever seen mentioned is about 100A. If the goal is more electric drive capability, you'd potentially be substituting 2xMG2 for MG2+ICE on acceleration. If not in an ICE lockout mode, really stomping on it could introduce 2xMG2 plus ICE which would certainly exceed normal output torque.

- This does bring up another interesting area of possible performance enhancement, increasing the current drive available to MG2. With a PHEV kit the battery portion is likely taken care of, but I believe the inverter becomes the bottle neck. It could be possible to up the output devices, or run more devices in parallel but this gets very tricky very fast when dealing with these sorts of current. A slight mismatch in devices causes the weakest device to smoke, which can then lead to each output device blowing in sequence. The filter network is also likely designed for a particular device characteristic and power, and changing that could wreck the output waveform quality. Another solution could be to add a second inverter to run in parallel, doubling the output current at any given time, but you'd have to find a way to "slave" the controller off the primary inverter to keep the outputs perfectly in phase sync. If you could do all that, you could still find there is a very good reason Toyota is running the motor at de-rated output, in terms of reliability or longevity for example. Still, could be fun ;)

- While more complicated, in some ways adding a second MG2 and inverter might actually be safer. Then each MG2 is only running at its Toyota designed power levels, and you don't have to worry about synchronizing the inverter outputs. Of course slapping an extra MG2 on the end is not exactly trivial from a mechanical perspective :D

9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that is an awesome idea. seems like w/ the new lightweight neodymium magnets, they could engineer a practical version. i hope a major company picks it up and runs w/ it.