1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding smartkey door handle (rear or pass side)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tjp74, Aug 14, 2009.

1. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know there has been a discussion about possibility of adding smartkey door handle on doors not equipped with it from the factory such as passenger door on package II and III and rear doors on IV and V.

Our family car is a Lexus and it has the 4 door smartkey system and it's really useful as first door I open is rear door putting kids in the car seat and last door to close after taking kids off from the car seat. Ok Ok I am spoiled :D

anyway, I've subscribed Toyota tech thing and studied various diagrams and comfirmed that unlike previous generation of smartkey system, this one has no sensors on each door, just one under the center globe box for front doors, one under the rear seat for rear doors even though we don't have smartkey handles in rear, one under the rear trunk floor and one somewhere in the rear hatch or bumper rear. total of 4 sensors.

To verifiy this, I stood in front of rear door handle and reached front door handle and I was able to lock and unlock the door.

So I think for package II and IV owners, you just have to add the smartkey door handle on front passenger door and plug in the wire if it's already there or wire it to ECU located under the front globebox. However I am not sure if you have to hook up a computer to change the programing. I wasn't able to verify this as my 2 day subscription expired last night before I can get to that. (but I did download every wiring diagrams I could get to it but it will take time to study them)

For me, I am going to see if I can add 2 handles to rear door. By the way, left and right side handles are both same as you can see the lock button is also located under the handle so you can flip the handle to be used on opposite side. I think front and rears are same as well minus the smartkey function.

Does anyone have access to part number for the smartkey door handles?

2. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't really care about the rear doors but I would love to add a sensor to the rear hatch on my III.

3. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1000000 I would REALLY like to be able to add the rear hatch. I'm a musician and load gear in and out the back a lot. Not having to fish keys out of my pocket when I've got a lot of stuff in my hands would be fantastic. I didn't realize the II didn't have 3 door SKS and was disappointed when I couldnt open the back...not sure how much I'd pay to add it, but I'd love to figure out a way to make it happen.

4. WaterbedWarrior

WaterbedWarrior Going insane!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, don't really need the passenger door, but the back hatch would be awesome!

5. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Lack of rear hatch/door smartkey system was one reason I went overboard and got package IV.

Without access to package II or III, I am not sure if rear sensors and wires are there and what's involved in retrofitting the system on rear door. I will keep looking at the wiring diagram and parts location to see if these show the difference between two. Anyone willing to dig up rear area to see if sensors are pre-installed or at least wires are there? I am willing to show diagram showing the sensor location. PM me.

I believe anything is possible if the car is designed to have it but wasn't installed at the factory. It all depends on cost. Unless we start seeing used parts for 2010, it will have to be all new parts probably more than $500 depending on what's there already and what we have to buy. What I really need is the parts lookup system...

6. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much of the rear do I have to tear up to see whats in there? If you tell me where to look and what I'm looking for I'll do some reconnaissance...

7. mpruis

mpruis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is primary reason I'm not buying a 2010. I won't pay $3000 US more for 3 door SKS; the only feature I want on a Prius IV model. Still looking for a almost new 2009.
    Will keep my 2005. Thank You Toyota Marketing.

8. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any updates on this?

9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd love to add it to the trunk. Not such a big deal elsewhere - you can program the car to unlock all doors when the drivers door is unlocked...

10. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Seriously? You're willing to give up all the benefits of the 2010 simply because you have to press the remote button to unlock the hatch instead of grabbing the handle? Wow.

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It may not be all too hard - providing the wires are there. The schematic shows a single 'unlock' signal coming from each door, and feeding into the ECU.

It is shown as an unlock "box" - but clearly that's the sensor. The pertaining wire at the back doors is listed as gray...

12. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How?

13. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's buried in the manual - I don't remember the procedure...

14. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Directions have also been posted in the forums somewhere, possibly in that thread with the angry smiley about dealer not changing customizable options for someone. But this one you can do yourself.

15. x00n

x00n New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would really appreciate this mod/hack. If all the hardware components and wires are setup, then this might be a prius's computer software hack.

Bump this to keep it hot, hope to catch more modder attentions!

16. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I'm very interested in finding a way to get my hatch to work. I've always got an armful of amps, guitars, and other gear and it'd be amazing to not have to find my keys in a parking lot at 2am...

17. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Went to the dealer parts guy yesterday to try and figure out the hatch part. He confirmed the difference between doors is the handle - this feeds a signal to the ECU.

For the hatch, he said there is no difference. *If* this is true, it is a programming mod - and I guess the "switch" is pressing the 'open' button.

If it is programming, this would be a matter of "turning it on" through Techstream...

18. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Except we don't have the open button. According to the manual there is a second button on the hatch to unlock it. I remember being confused when at first I thought SKS applied to the hatch on my II. For the life of me I couldn't open the door. Looked in the manual and saw there is a small button to the side of the main button. Alas, I didn't have it. This is when I realized 3 door SKS wasn't standard. Grrr...

19. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you sure of that button? The parts guy said Gen II did have the button, but Gen III does not.

20. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out pg 45 in the manual. I may have misunderstood it. Looks like it has a Lock button I don't have, but the unlock button appears to be the same. If there's a hack to get it to work just by tweaking something in the car's computer, that'd be amazing.