1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding some pilot lights near the dash??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Goldenberg, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was easily able to install green LED's in the front cup holders, center armrest storage compartment and lower center drawer.
    I would like to do something similar in the storage compartment below the radio and near the dash light dimmer switch.
    Does anyone have a drawing to help me get in behind the dashboard and a wiring diagram that show where I can connect to?

[email protected]

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Post some pics if you can, Steve, of what the LEDs look like in the dark. Sounds like a cool idea.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $10/day at techinfo.toyota.com will give you all of the EWD's which are useful as they show wire colors, etc.

4. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They are 1/4" flat round green LED's from Radio Shack (276-271). About $2 each. 9/32" round mounting hole.
    Now I can see in the center compartment and drawer at night and find the cup holders easily. I connected them to the "cigarette" outlet in the center compartment, not the light switch, so they're on when the car is on. They use a miniscule amount of power.
    I want to do something similar under the radio and near the dash dimmer.

5. Yes, please post pictures. Your idea sounds like a very good one. I'd love to see the end result. Of course, night time pics won't show up too well.

6. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's a photo as requested.
    1. Bottom up view of green LED installed in rearmost cupholder.
    2. Top down view of another green LED installed to illuminate front drawer.
    3. Top down view of green LED installed to illuminate center compartment.
    4. Green LED that is part of my cell phone charging cord.
    5. Normally open (N.O.) momentary push button switch to allow destination and other touch screen data to be input even if car is moving.
    6. Radio Shack relay to reverse the N.O. switch since I couldn't find a nice looking, durable N.C. switch to break the speed sensor circuit to the NAV unit.
    The wires are all long to allow for removal of the cup holder, the N.O. switch and the entire center console if necessary.
    All the LED's turn on as soon as the power switch is turned on, even if the headlights are off. It was just easier to get to the cigarette lighter circuit for 12DC power even though it is not controlled by the lighting switches.