1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding to the NAV Database?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Buckn, May 28, 2005.

1. Buckn

Buckn New Member

Has anyone heard of, or has anyone been able to download contacts into the NAV? I know you can add POIs one by one, but I am looking for a way to add several thousand at one time or create my own POI catagory that can be shown or not.

I've done this on several PC based map systems, etc.

Thanks!

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, you're probably already aware that you can register (a limited number of) memory points and add "contacts" via a Bluetooth device into the phonebook. I believe, however, that actual POIs are a different matter as they reside on the NAV DVD in an .IDX file.

Thus, adding POIs or new categories is going to involve editing files, particularly one of those .IDX files (labelled something like POISRxxx.IDX, where xxx = the region number), and then burning a new DVD.

3. Buckn

Buckn New Member

I would be willing to do this. Just not sure how I would go about it!

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:3bdf995154] Be careful. Your software license agreement to use both the geographic map data from GDT/Tele Atlas and the POI data from infoUSA do not permit you to do this legally. Look in your Prius owner's manual for the exact language.

That said, the POI files seem to be fairly simple in stucture. You should be able to create tab-delimited files and if they were on the DVD with the map data, you should be able to see them as POI. The Denso DVD under the driver's seat is dual-layer, to accommodate all the data for the US and Canada, so you might need an appropraite burner to create a disc the nav system could read. I don't know if it can read appropriately formatted CDs.

Tele Atlas sells map data by state (down to the county), so you could concievably buy the area you want and create your own specialized nav system.
    [/font:3bdf995154]