1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding USB ports to center console

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by david81, Apr 26, 2008.

1. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What do you experts out there think about hardwiring some USB ports into the center console?

With all the gadgets that take a standard USB cord for power (Treo, Bluetooth GPS, Bluetooth earpiece, Ipod, etc) why not get rid of the "cigarette lighter" adapter and just integrate the ports directly.

Seems like it should be relatively simple. Just grab the 12v from the line going to the outlet, feed it into the circuit that's already in a USB car adapter

2-Port USB Car Charger Adapter : Audio & Video from Overstock.com

then send it to some nice panel mount ports.

FRONTX - Panel Mount Dual USB 2.0 Internal Cable - bulkhead USB type A female to header (pinout)

Any thoughts?

David

kiwiminime likes this.
  2. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All you need is a: +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805 from radio shack and a panel mount. I have been searching for a nice panel mount. All the ones I have found so far are like the one above. I am looking for something a little more finished.

I all ready have dual 12v outlets I have wired in below the radio. The USB would go right under them.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not use a powered 4 port hub and a 12v to 5v universal power adapter? Stick the hub inside the centre box with velcro so the USB ports are facing up.
    [​IMG]

I'd love to have USB connectivity with the MFD and stereo, how cool would that be!

kiwiminime likes this.