1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding USB to 2010 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jangell2, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jangell2

jangell2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First post here and I did a search for usb with no hits.

We just got our Prius Friday night and made ample use of cash for clunkers. Our model has the receiver with cd/mp3/XM. Is there a way to add a usb port to this receiver? I'd like to put it in the center console next to the aux-in port. I like to play mp3's on USB flash drives.

I've got a receiver from Crutchfield in my Honda CRV that will do that and like to have this on the prius.

Just for funsies I went on Crutchfield and they listed a ton of receivers for the Prius and every single one required user modification. I guess it's too soon in the Prius model year for them to really support it. Don't really want to get rid of the receiver yet since we want to try out XM.

2. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota just released this, I ordered mine last week. I thought it would be nice to have both a USB and an Audio connector also, but this replaces the audio connector. Thinking about it awhile I really don't see the use of the audio aux if I have USB.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...almost-here.html?highlight=safety+connect+usb

3. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That doesn't work in the non-nav models.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That USB is for NAV only, isn't it?

EDIT: MikeDS by a nose.:p

5. Peppito

Peppito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The USB/iPod option from Toyota is only compatible with the models that carry the Nav unit. The nav unit is needed to display the various mult-function features and controls of the USB/iPod software and interface. Maybe in the future, mods will be released for the recievers in the model II. But at the moment, it's not.

Glad to hear Cash for Clunkers worked out for ya. Congrats on your Prius! I ordered mine last week. Just waiting for "the phone call".

6. jangell2

jangell2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the replies. I had a hunch that usb was a no go. It seems to me that if you can only have one, usb is the better choice.

As for an aftermarket receiver, will there be one that looks like it belongs in that sloping dash? Well, there's no hurry anyway.

Our first choice was a blue or red III but those could not be found anywhere in our area or the states around us. The dealer finally located a black III configured the way we wanted. When we went into the dealership to fill out the paperwork we knew the black car wouldn't be there yet. We saw a grey Prius sitting on the lot and asked about it. He printed out the sheet, it was a II. We looked at the car and really liked that metalic grey and decided to get it.

We had our first (and only) test drive on Monday and got the grey Prius on Friday. When we were trying to back the car out and drive away we couldn't get it to go into reverse and had to ask for help. We had forgotten that we had to have the foot on the brake when pressing the power button. First time in my life I've needed help to drive a car off the lot:p

This seems to be a really good car, I think we're going to like it a lot. I wonder how long it normally takes to stop reaching into your pocket for the keys?:)

7. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Search for GROM, and see this thread.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ice-looking-features-share-your-thoughts.html

It''s for a a USB-to-CD device. Without installation it's over 100$, but it can be transferred to any car with a bit of work.

It will do what you are looking to do. I want to get this later, I hate with a *passion* burning CD's with MP3's, as you quickly get bored with one.

8. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're both quite correct. That device does require a NAV radio. I tried to shoe-horn it in anyway (the dealer told me it would work!) in my non-nav Model III. No GO.

9. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    how much was the adapter? I have a III with Nav and am considering buying the part. wanna sell it? :D

10. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I'm going to return it to the dealer, but it cost $240. I think it would be easier for you to get it from your local dealer.