1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding XM - some antenna questions

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by GaryGarland, Jun 3, 2009.

1. GaryGarland

GaryGarland New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All - I"m a NewB and i did search the forums - i hope i'm not asking that which has been posted before.
    I bought a slick looking XM RC unit (color) - i've seen the unit that adds to the factory radio, but mine has the ipod adapter, and i didn't want to start monkeying with that. i've seen the routing for the antenna to the hatch and i think i'm going in that direction - though i will try on the passenger side of dash first.
    Here are the questions, if i go outside:
    1) has anyone painted their antenna? my car is white, so i was thinking of painting it with touch up paint, ditto the tail of the wire
    2) i saw sirius has a rubber piece to cover the wire - it is black - so i figured if i got that i'd paint it black as well
    3) i've been looking at sharkfins, but reading different reviews - some say good, some say they kill your FM reception - thoughts?
    4) i wouldn't mind, instead, of keeping my FM antenna and getting a little XM "dome" that i can paint white to match the car - my acura has that - any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
    5) I plan to get a proclip (i've used them in the past - they're great) and mount the receiver above the driver's right side air vent (next to the GPS) - then i plan to run a wire either to a fuse or just tap the back of the lighter plug, route the antenna as necessary, and then probably run a 1/8" line in cable from the receiver to the line-in jack in the armrest/console - i'll probably drill a hole near the bottom of the console and thread the wire in (i'm not removing the console, snaking under the carpeting, etc. - i'm an enthusiast, not a fanatic - and hey, this is only a lease!
    any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated - thanks!

2. bktravis

bktravis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought the shark fin and it works great. I live in the Atlanta area...no problem with reception. I put the sirius antenna inside the shark fin and it also works great. Some reception problems with trees to right, but I had that before...so, my guess for me, no change either way. Shark fin looks really good on the car. Only thing bad is the I didn't work to run sirius antenna wire to hide it. I ended up painting it silver, color of my car. It looks ok...