1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Additional maintenance at only 48,800 miles

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by HaiJinx, Jan 28, 2024.

1. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Prius prime 2017 48,800 miles. Came in for routine oil change and tire rotation.

“Our tech is recommending to replace the engine air filter $110, transmission fluid flush $425, Maf sensor cleaning $229.88 and the throttle body cleaning $269.88. If we do everything, it would be $1,034.76.”

Isn’t throttle body cleaning every 75,000 miles? I drive mostly electric miles as my work is 10 miles away so I hardly use gas.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would decline all these at the dealer, but you can/should check both the engine air cleaner and cabin air cleaner. I generally change these out every 2 years. Very simple, order replacements off Amazon and DIY.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I replace my cabin & engine air filter every other oil change ~ 20K miles.
    COMBO Engine Filter + Cabin air filter for 16-22 Toyota PRIUS & 20-21 PRIUS C US | eBay
    Around $12 and a minute of your time each to change.
    Transmission fluid replacement is a simple drain & fill will get 95% of it out - No flush needed @ around $150-$200 max. including OEM Toyota ATF. IMHO, once the first drain & fill is done - you should be able to go 100K before your next change.
    The MAF and throttle body can wait till the specified interval. If your changing your engine air filter, like me - the MAF sensor should never need cleaning. IMHO, your more likely to damage it by exposing it to harsh cleaning solvents. The throttle body is subjected to oily EGR gases and require periodic cleaning, but I've seen them go 150K-200K miles before they start getting "sticky". That's on a full on ICE car, not a part-time EV/ICE car, so depending on how much EV driving your doing - you could probably go 200K miles before cleaning the throttle body. It won't stop the car from running - you'll just get a surging idle. Clean it out when that happens - no harm, no foul.

Hope this helps.....

PS. If your not burning through a tank of gas every few months, I'd probably run the car in HV mode at the end of every month - just to make sure the ICE is properly lubed and contaminates are burned out of it. Let the ICE get all the way up to standard operating temperatures - ECU to shut it down once that happens and you don't need the power.
    Your transmission is working all the time, even in EV mode.:whistle:

#3 BiomedO1, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would buy Toyota WS fluid for the trans and do it myself or take it to a good mechanic to drain and refill, probably $100 total. Buy a Toyota air filter $20 at 60k and see if it even needs it yet, and a Denso cabin filter for about $11, if it needs it. Those tech prices not only are too high, but may do more harm than good on the cleanings.
    Personally would use only a Toyota engine air filter, or possibly a Fram Ultra from Walmart at $16.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Christ, that's driveshaft replacement money. I'll just pick one: $425 USD to drain and fill the transaxle; they should be arrested. It's a bloody drain and fill.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Never return to that stealership except for a warranty claim. They are crooks. There is no need to have any routine work done at the dealership. Any auto repair shop can do the jobs. Be sure the work order includes whatever the manual recommends at that time or mileage, and save the paperwork.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm glad @PT Guy posted it so I don't have to. Just curious if your warranty maintenance guide booklet ( that came with the car documentation ) maintenance log starting on pg 48, looks anything like mine does for the first 3 years for free maintenance. :rolleyes:

Doug McC likes this.
  8. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    And even if you do need to clean MAF sensor and the throttle body... It's extremely easy to DIY in most cases. I've done it myself for my really old car and even that doesn't have to be done often so long as you're changing your air filter and inspecting it regularly.

It's all fine and dandy to use the free Toyota care. Heck I'll probably for the first 3 years of basic warranty do their service 1/2/3 thing. But if they told me $400 for a fluid change alone I'd tell them to forget it.

It's nice to have the maintenance schedule saved with Toyota, but you can just as easily keep receipts and records of all the work yourself and if you do sell the car later you'll have something detailed to offer the buyer.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's just the dealer fleecing you.

Do what it says on the maintenance booklet that came with the car. Ask for specific services when the time comes. And you can largely ignore their recommendations.

10. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Funny enough I can't find an actual schedule for my car in the booklets. It's just not there. And their website only says "service 1 2 and 3" every 6 months -_-

Wild really. Maybe I'm missing something.

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Zeromus which boolets besides the owners manual did you get?
    Gen 4 came with
    2 Navigation System Owners Manual
    3 Owners Warranty Rights Notifications
    4 Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation Entune App Suite Prius Prime Apps
    5 Quick Reference Guide
    6 Owners Manual Quick Guide
    7 Warranty & Maintenance Guide

Gen 4 - Log of Dealer Services is in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide
    and the Dealers first free service record is on page 40.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the states it’s an event-by-event schedule, in the “Warranty and Maintenance Booklet”. It’s a very awkward format, nigh impossible to understand frequencies and summarize, but at least it’s there. You can start a spreadsheet, go through it event by event and reverse engineer a table format summary. Which I’m sure Toyota started with…

attached are some I did following 4th Gen us schedule, probably VERY similar; I haven’t checked though.

Attached Files:

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    2024 owners manual - section 7-2 - pg 495
    Register for an Owners Account usually provides more details about your Prius.
    I'm not sure if it'll help you find more info on Dealers Scheduled Maintenance requirements

Much less help you figure out what maintenance was / is being done to your car, besides the invoices and / or dealers service dept. other documentation provided.
    Toyota Owners Registration

14. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    That website is only for US, and the manual supplement for warranty guide in Canada doesn't include the maintenance guide. And they don't have the other supplement you listed either (hah)

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Incredibly, that is true. I think since the advent of Gen 4. At Toyota Canada website you can see the schedule, now event-by-event. The opposite of progress.

if ambitious go through the Canadian schedule, see what’s listed at each miles/months, generate a sensible row and column spreadsheet?

16. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    You put in your mileage and model, then It spits service by service and nothing else other than "recommendation from dealer" type stuff based on inspection of fluids. Exception : change brake fluid. Maybe if I tell the website I'm already at 75k it'll tell me the later services in more detail

They really aren't making it easy. If I ask the dealer they can probably print it off TIS though for the fluids other than brake and oil

17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Might be worth $25US (standard subscription) to do the TIS yourself? hah

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Zeromus i got confused, was thinking you were the original poster. OP is in the States, so at least there’s that. I’ll check out Toyota Canada’s up to date mess, maybe private message you. I’ve got several spreadsheet schedules already done; with a little luck I can maybe mod one to suit what’s currently on Toyota Canada website.

one thing I see:

if you select “print full schedule”, it gives you a summary, and appears to alternate between services 1, 2 and 3. At the bottom are details for each of these. Some of those for sure are pointless, but yeah it appears to be full described, albeit with a lot of runaround.

I’ve printed to pdf the full schedule (attached) and will try to distill to a practical spreadsheet.

to see how far they’ve dropped, also attached is the schedule format from model year 2014.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Zeromus and vvillovv like this.
  19. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base