1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Admit it, you're rooting for higher gas prices right?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 13, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is it really a bad thing to hope for higher gas prices? Yeah, it'll slow the economy, things will cost more, blah blah blah... Well do people really think that there's going to be a time where gas prices are going to go below 3 bucks for any prolonged period of time? It's high time that we develop behavior patterns and technologies and mass transit that allow us to survive without cheap oil. If things do get more expensive, then maybe we can just acquire less crap. Hell, the europeans and the japanese can survive and they pay per liter what we pay per gallon. Don't we have at least the same ingenuity as they to deal with higher gas prices? Let's use or brain instead of crying like babies.

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm rooting for 5% cashback on gas purchases

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 12 2006, 10:16 PM) [snapback]285468[/snapback]</div>

Higher prices are not really the issue...it is the sudden increase that has the most dramatic effect. Many, many of us live paycheck to paycheck, and a sudden increase in any expense takes time to absorb. I can only imagine how hard it is for people whose expenses were already greater then their income!

The upcoming generation will already be "conditioned" to deal with these prices and therefore will not experience the same sticker shock that we are faced with today.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not really rooting for higher gas prices because I will be paying more for food, utilities and other stuff the same as everyone else.

But....I am a little smug when I fill up.

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 12 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]285485[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but I need a sign to hold up while I fill up that says:

"Yes this is a Prius"
    "Yes this is one of those Hybrids"
    "I get between 52-54 MPG"
    "Yes I love my car"
    "Have a nice day"
    "Ok, now shooooo!"

It amazes me how many people comment about the car and ask questions (although the sign wouldn't allow my true "smugness" to shine through! ;)

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 13 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]285491[/snapback]</div>
    4 bucks a gallon! 4 bucks a gallon! 4 bucks a gallon!

7. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 12 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]285491[/snapback]</div>
    Here's smugness for you. When we got the Prius, we decided (more like my wife wanted it and I wasn't all that picky at the time, I'm usually not) to get a personalized plate to show off our hybrid. So our tag says "60 MPG." It's still a little high, but we're getting there. And we get lots of questions about the car, especially when filling up. I think we've added a few converts just from the tag alone.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    rooting for more money leaving my pocket faster than it seems to get in there?

pfff.

i'll take cheap *anything* as long as i possibly can...

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 13 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]285898[/snapback]</div>
    4 bucks a gallon is what an individual pays, but it's not what we as a society pay.

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

If gas prices keep up this high, it would logically seem that we will move to other energy sources.

But that might not be true long term though (say 5-10 yrs from now). If say oil goes to $100/barrel and stay at that level, then the tar pits in Alberta and oil shale in Utah are going to be in business for a long time to make oil.

It is claimed that Alberta/Utah each has a few times more oil than the Saudi. And they claimed to be profitable as long as oil prices are above $30/barrel. Constructions from both places are already heating up again (like they did in the late 70s).

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    On one of the Yahoo groups an owner told of how he caught someone letting the air out of his tires simply because the guy was mad that it cost so much to fill his tank and he wanted to take out his anger on an innocent Prius. I don't want to be a target like that.

Try living on unemployment and having to pay $4 a gallon to go to interviews.

12. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I filled up for the first time in 3 weeks and my bill was still less than $25. A co-worker told me she traded in her Excersion (sp?) because she was filling up twice a week at almost $80 each. In a way, I wish gas would hit $4 overnight because maybe it would WAKE other people up to realize they really don't need that big SUV. And if they bought a hybrid with real time gas mileage display maybe, just maybe I wouldn't have as many tailgaters. I need a sign on the back of my Prius that says "The closer you get, the slower I pedal".

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 13 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]285910[/snapback]</div>
    Someone who acts like that deserves to have gas prices hurt him financially.

14. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jul 13 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]285912[/snapback]</div>
    I like that. :lol: I'll have to go to cafepress and get that put on a licence plate frame. :D

15. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm rooting for $10 per gallon ($2.50 per Liter, similar to Europe) and (2008-2009) PHEV hybrids. We can then operate vehicles on renewable energy (recharged at home using photovoltaic panels). PHEVs will be a more positive contribution to air quality. A Liter of electrons is cheaper than a Liter of gasoline.

Those who want to drive guzzlers that idle when stopped using expensive liquid fuel can do so. However the cost will be proportional to true cost of roads, parking, noise and air quality.

16. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]285943[/snapback]</div>
    Being unemployed?

There's a German word for that.....Schadenfreude

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 13 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]285955[/snapback]</div>
    More likely we'll have gas rationing like the 70s. I still don't see that many electric cars on the road. What about people that are self-employed and use a truck for their work? What choices do they have?

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 13 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]285955[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you, at least $10/gal, and smokes at least $10/pac. What the heck, lets make em $15.00. :D

18. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 13 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]285967[/snapback]</div>
    No, I think that more damage and death has been distributed from unnecessary trucks and suvs. Those types of vehicles are not only more dangerous to the drivers, but they are also dangerous to those that they hit. Let's not mention what kind of havoc they wreak on the environment. Global warming and excess cancer and asthma causing pollutants all in the name of proving your manhood is kind of crappy, no?

As for the self-employed, they can write it all off, no?

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    try being in my financial shoes for a day, burritos. you wouldn't be rooting for gas that expensive either. gas prices are squeezing us a bit, not only at the pump but in all the products we buy.

if you make a decent living, that's one thing.

while i fully realize the consequences of fossil fuel use, i am also acutely aware of what it's like to have an empty fridge, and empty gas tank, and lots of unpaid bills.

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]285985[/snapback]</div>
    I'll agree with you there. It's just that a family that can't afford to get a new car will be hit hard as well, and I can't be happy to see that happen.