1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advance auto parts yellow top 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ski.dive, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ANYBODY INSTALL THIS 12V BATTERY IN THE PRIUS?

***THEY SAY IT'S A PERFECT FIT FOR THE CAR.

AVAILABLE AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS
    Optima Batteries BATTERY-YELLOW TOP OPT

Part No. DS46B24R

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If I had a buck for every member on PC who already has the yellow top (includidng yours truely) ... and has already answered questions about it ... and about how great they are comparred to the OEM ... and more reasonably priced for the quality you get ... well I'd be retiared.
    The search tool can be your friend (though many times it sucks major sphincter)
    ;)

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    join eBates to get 6% cash back for advance auto parts (and for all your other online shopping)
    that battery is $200.99, coupon code "BIG50" or "VISA" knocks $50 off, free shipping or pick up locally (if available)
    download $25 rebate from the Optima website, install it yourself and enjoy years of not having to worry about your 12V battery as well as increased fuel economy.

4. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, but do you have this Optoma model DS46B24R? The older Optoma D51 model needed a kit and this doesn't, supposedly.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the newer optima fits without modification. $200. seems high compared to elearnaid?

6. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a matter of fact I just installed it yesterday:)
    I measured the Toyota and Optima and it has the same dimensions. Not difficult to change the battery to the extent of removing the old, the new goes in just like it and the terminals fit perfectly.
    Using a small 12 V battery across the terminals in the fuse box in the engine compartment worked great.

Oh, I also measure the Optima before the installation, 12. 85V.

7. jayhawker88

jayhawker88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    You guys are awesome. I've found out a lot of information about our Prius from this site. Today I was looking into our our 12v battery a little more and came across this thread. I ended up ordering this DS46B24R model from Advance Auto Parts and came out better than if I had went through eLearnAid.

To start, this battery is listed as $209.99, with a $15.00 core fee, 3 year warranty and free shipping. I used the code HUGE50 that I've seen a few people mention and got $50 off my order. This took it down to $174.99. Add in the tax and my total was $185.49. But wait....I learned about EBATES and got 6% cash back on my order. Not to mention the fact that I was a new user, so I also scored a $10 gift card to Walmart (there were a few other options). Once I return the old core to Advance Auto Parts, I'll also get back my $15.00 core fee.

All in all I paid $185.49 - $10 - $10.50 (cash back) - $15 = $149.99 w/ free shipping. The 3 year warranty was nice as well...Anyways, thanks again PRIUSchat!