1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advantages of summer tires over all season?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bjartmarr, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Bjartmarr

Bjartmarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been looking at new tires and had pretty much decided on the Energy Saver A/S for their low road noise, LRR, and acceptable price-to-treadwear ratio and braking.

But I live in Los Angeles and I never drive on snow, and only rarely in rain. Is there an advantage to my trying to find a summer tire? It seems like most of the recommendations I've seen from Consumer Reports and Tire Rack are steering me towards an A/S tire.

I'm most interested in low noise, LRR, and value per mile. I drive conservatively so anything with reasonable braking and handling would be fine. (This is for a 2013 prius; P195/65R15).

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    A true lrr summer tread is the right tool for the job and should provide better mpg but I only know of a few obsolete treads that would fit

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a Michelin Energy Saver without the A/S suffix. Billed as Summer Touring by Michelin.

Michelin Energy Saver Tires | Michelin Canada

My 2 cents: it seems like "summer" tires are going extinct, supplanted by all-seasons. Probably for the best.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It also seems like summer tires are only made for performance vehicles. There are fewer and fewer passenger or "touring" summer tires.

I guess there will be advantages in dry grip, dry cornering, wet grip and wet cornering. (The grip will also help with braking)

quantumy likes this.