1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advent Navigation Unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by eroeder, Oct 27, 2011.

1. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know this is my first post, and I glad it is a positive one.

I have an ADVENT Navigation system installed in my 2011 Gen III, and it is great! I was originally locked in on the Rosen, but then learned about easy software/navigation updating you can do and was sold. Looks totally factory too!

I must say thanks to ADC Mobile for all the advise, excellent pricing, and awesome training video to follow along with. So nice to have them as a resource!

Loving this new car!

1 person likes this.
  2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    well, share the model and some pics with us. :D

3. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to Advent

Model is OTOPRI1

You can go to ADC Mobil's site if you want to see more pictures, videos etc.

4. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No problem! I will take pics when I get back in town. It really looks originals, but wih the benefits of extra features! :)

5. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you replace a JBL system?

Can a steering wheel button be programmed to answer BT?

Are you stuck with the navigation software provided with this unit or can you install something different like iGO?

Thanks. I've been considering the Advent. Better guts (chipset) then other units. Shame we can't get traffic on the unit. I'm tempted to get the Kenwood unit but factor look would be nice.

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the unit interface to the JBL sound system? I can't see that mentioned on the website. It does mention steering wheel control compatibility and some other nice features.

7. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the JBL system, I had to pay an extra $100 for a adapter gizmo.
    Yep, the steering wheel button still work too!

As for the Nav data, you do updates via an SD card located under a front button (update the OS too). You get updates from the website. You can also use the card to create a personalized start screen when you start the car.

If you look at the ADC mobile site, he has some great videos to show how it all looks and works. :)

8. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was the JBL adapter "plug n play"? In other words did you have splice, solder or crimp any wires?

9. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, from what I can tell the JBL adapter was plug and play. I didn't do the install myself though. The only thing that I have to go back to the installer for is he didn't hook the lighting wire up right so the button lights turn on automatically with the headlights. I will go back in a few days. ADC informed me that should work if wired correctly. They can come on manually, but I want it automatic. Boy, the do look pretty when they are on. ADC Mobile has a video of the button lighting at night.
    For folks without the JBL system, their life is much simpler....

10. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Advent picture matches exactly to the FlyAudio unit. I wonder if they have the same software and maps.

11. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm, not sure. I think they are made by Audiovox.

12. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks exactly like a Chinese generic unit to me, either the FlyAudio or the Soling. I'd say it's not Audiovox, unless they stuck a label on over the Chinese one.

I have a feeling that these things all originate with one, or maybe two, manufacturer in China, with the same box being branded with different names depending on the importer or perhaps the Chinese selling agent. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Fly Audio just buy in a generic unit and badge it (maybe adding their own version of the apps), which would then explain why there are seemingly identical units being sold under different apparent "brand names".

13. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any unit which is designed to look like a factory navigation unit is going to look the same from the outside.:)

Your observation is worthless unless you looked at the inside of the unit. Observed what chipsets are being used.

The "guts" of the Advent unit is completely different. Parrot BT.

http://www.adcmobile.com/product/advent/OE_Radio_Comparison_Matrix.pdf

Audiovox has their own factories. Designs their own products. They manufacture Sirus/XM equipment.

I'll agree most of the China units are made by a few companies. The earlier models by Coagent and some of the newer models by Roadrover. Some of the vendors (Rosen) improved the software, include legal maps and a US backed warranty. Many China direct (ebay) sellers leave some of those "issues" to the customer.

Advent (Rosen, Flyaudio etc) tells customers with a JBL amp to use a JBL amp adapter. Some of the generic units claim to work with a JBL amp without such an adapter. Based on the experience of a few posters those companies may be wrong (or we're looking at a work in progress)

14. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet you anything you like that the core of these things is essentially very similar, despite the hype. They all seem to be based on the same, or a very similar, topology, using WinCE running on a fairly fast processor as the nav core and control, and separate internal modules for the DVD, radio, BT, audio amps etc. None of them look much like the OEM nav when you look closely and most have slight front panel differences that give clues as to their origin (like the design and placement of the micro SD card slot(s) and the style of the lettering).

The main differences seem to be the firmware. Pretty much all of these things can be easily examined using something like WinCE Commander to get a look at what they are really running. I've yet to see, or hear of, any of them that aren't running a Chinese version of WinCE, making it awkward to get around the file system and see exactly what's what.

The other main limitation of all of them seems to be the way that the various functions are integrated and limited in the way they can work together. Changing function involves switching the video/audio stream from the various sub-systems and this means that things aren't quite as seamless as they might be on an integrated ssytem. They are all pretty good value though, when compared to the higher end stuff, and have the great advantage of being able to run pretty much any nav software that's available for WinCE.

I still contend that inside this unit there will be sub-modules that are common to many of the other units out there. Just a guess, but given the small market for a Prius-specific after market unit, why on earth would a manufacturer not use commonly available sub-systems?

Some of the Chinese units do have a CANbus interface and can turn on the US JBL system. European and UK JBL equipped cars don't need this, as their JBL systems turn on with a simple Amp-on wire.

15. mrcuiser

mrcuiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the XM images on the radio match what XM shows on the computer or phone apps? I'm a big fan of being able to see the channel avatar along with the complete channel name and title. On my wife's 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited her screen is great looking with any titles too long to display will scroll back and forth. Also would there be a demand for the original Nav unit I currently have in my 2011 Prius III? Certainly would help offset the cost of the unit.

16. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps all the OEM look units are buying the faceplate from the same vendor. Just because 2 different PCs comes with Windows, a CPU and RAM doesn't mean the units are the same.

The Advent line comes with
    SiRF Prima 600 MHz processor
    • SDRAM - 256 MB
    • WIN CE 6.0
    • Storage Internal SD card - 4 Gigabytes

I suspect the video screen and other components might be the same as is used on other brands.

Audiovox didn't come up with a Prius unit. They came up with an entire line of OEM look units. Toyota. GM. Honda...I'm sure the guts of their units are similar. They didn't just develop a Prius model. They added a Prius unit to their line of Toyota radios.

Read the threads. The US posters who bought the China unit which supports the JBL found it doesn't work properly..

17. J0keboy

J0keboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much was the unit?

18. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds pretty much like the internal spec of the Chinese units to me. FWIW, at least one of the Chinese units (the Ottonavi branded one) has built in CANbus control for the US JBL system. All it needs is a cable to hook it up - no interface box with a uP in it for generating the right CANbus signals is needed.

Also, FWIW, all of the Chinese units I've seen have actually had CANbus connectivity built in (often not clear, but it is there), but without the cable needed to hook it up to the US Prius JBL and maybe without the internal software. If you read the threads you will see that there is a software option on some units to select the external amp. This sends the right CANbus signals down the extra loom, I believe.

19. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Read the posts. US posters have had "issues" using the Roadrover (Ottonavi) unit with the JBL amp. It turns on the amp but appears to be sending speaker level (not pre-amp) output to the JBL amp. Distortion for at least the radio.
    Sounds pretty much like the internal spec of the Chinese units to me.

It doesn't. The Roadrover /ottonavi unit has 64 MB of SDRAM It uses the older Sirf Star III chipset etc.

20. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think these radios have a FCC registration number on them. I will post the number from my FlyAudio unit that will be delivered on Nov 1st. I will try to find the manufacturer on the FCC web site. Can someone do the same for the Advent and or Audiovox systems?